1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Gender help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jschway, Apr 13, 2012.

1. jschway

jschway Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    olive branch ms
    [​IMG]
    The Rhode island red is the only one im worried about. She (I hope) has the largest comb. (Assuming that was you look at to tell what gender they are)

[​IMG]

From left to right (Rhode Island red, Red sexlink, black sexlink, Buff O)

Thanks for the help! (Also if anyone know what the sexlinks were mixed with... that would be great info!)

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

How old are they in the pic??? Sorry, I have no RIRs, but the comb doesn't jump out at me as cockerel or anything. Different breeds have different combs/comb sizes, and as I recall, my brother's RIR (as a hen) had a BIG comb. Hopefully someone with chick pics of RIRs will better help you.

3. jschway

jschway Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    olive branch ms
    4 or 5 weeks

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well again, at 4-5 weeks, I don't see anything that jumps out at me as cockerel (perhaps if the comb was VERY pink), but I don't have this breed. I even went back to my 4 and 5 weeks pics from 09, but the comb on that chick looks fairly similar to my BR or BA's combs at that age, and both of theirs stood out a lot more than my BO's (since you mentioned one chick was a BO). I'm guessing you're safe. I wish someone with RIRs would give input though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by