Gender ID boy or girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by alb9202, Aug 24, 2013.

1. alb9202

alb9202 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2013
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

I woud say you have a pullet.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    You forgot one of the most important bit of information when sexing birds--how old is it? This one could go either way depending on age.

4. alb9202

Jan 30, 2013
    Maine
    I wish I new the exact age :/ my prediction is a little over two months? It just stopped making peeping noises about a week ago. I purchased this beauty about 2 weeks ago

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    If the bird is only 8-9 weeks, old, then it's most likely a cockerel. That's too much red comb for a pullet of that age. If the bird is older, then there is a chance it's a pullet. Sorry I can't be more specific without the age.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My 3 month old birds still peep, so I'm going with it's an older pullet. Maybe post again in a month or so, that way we have this as a baseline?

7. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I'm saying it's a cockerel because of the shiny black hackle feathers and the red shoulder patches as well as the red comb at this age. Also I think I can see long saddle feathers.

8. alb9202

Jan 30, 2013
    Maine
    I was inspecting this bird today, hoping it would give me more clues, I notice new feathering sprouting out of its neck (hackle area) underneath existing feathering. Many of this new feathering appeared to have light tips. It didn't seem like they were plucked out, just looked thicker and new. It will be interesting to see if it is more hackle feathers developing. I will be sure to post more images as it progresses. I really wish I knew this little bloggers true hatch date

9. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes it’s a roo. I was thinking the bird was a lot younger when I posted.

10. alb9202

Jan 30, 2013
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    Oh my goodness, so many changes in only a week to this bird! The shiny look to its feathers seem to now be evenly distributed along the body, more speckles on the neck and at the end of its tail feathers. No further development of the waddle and minimal development of the comb. I am so excited of these changes! Could these be feminine changes?? With the cooperation of my device I am going to continue to upload a few more pics :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by