Gender Id Help (pg3, post 28 very pic heavy)EE, RIR, "Tophats",Cochins

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Crickett B, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Crickett B

Crickett B Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    I went and bought 7 new Chickens (6 of them babies), when I lost 3 of my "teenagers" to a devil possum:(
    I vaguely know what the babies might be but when its a feed store, it's like a box of chocolates: says one thing on the little map, but sure doesn't taste like that when you take a bite.
    I was told that they all were about 2 weeks old

Two are Frizzles, and I "think" cochin
    Here is one of them

[​IMG]

Two are what I think maybe Easter Eggers, but no clue what sex the could be
    [​IMG]
    The one on the right is bigger and more heavier than the left one

Then I spotted the sign that said Polish Chickens! woo hoo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Now this one is odd, it has 5 toes on each foot
    [​IMG]
    Could it be a Houdan, and not a Polish?

Thanks for all your help with teaching me about this addiction I now have
    Crickett

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  2. Chick-a-roos

Chick-a-roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Blue Ridge, GA
    They are so cute!!! Where did you purchase them if you don't mind me asking since I live in Blue Ridge. I have been wanting a polish. Your last chick is probably a silkie or silkie mix since it has the 5 toes. The frizzles are so darling! Well darn, they are all too cute!
    Chickie love at first sight [​IMG]

LOL sorry about your addiction

3. Crickett B

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Quote:Brown's Feed Store, downtown Blue Ridge [​IMG]
    Careful when you go in, you can't leave with just one...or maybe that is just my bad habit [​IMG]

4. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Now they are some adorable little chicks!

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    The one with 5 toes is probably a Houdan. Alot of times feed stores will sell "Polish" but it will actually be a Top Hat mix from a hatchery. I've found Sultans, Houdans, Crevecours, and even Silkies in the "Polish" bin along with the Polish.

I believe you've got your breeds figured right though... Frizzled Cochin, Easter Eggers, Polish, and Houdan. Lovely mix of birds. As to sex... It's a bit early to tell.

6. Chick-a-roos

Chick-a-roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Blue Ridge, GA
    Yes, Brown's Feed....I should have know that! lol I was in there last week but went straight to the counter to pick up meds and of course avoided looking at the chicks, chickens and all other critters!

Your right, you can't just leave with one! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

btw....if you need a bantam roo, I have one that I found yesterday that will need a good home once he is out of quarantine! [​IMG]

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:So true.

And to really top it off, your actual "Polish" there isn't purebred - It's a red polish, meaning it is Ideal Hatchery's project of Leghorn x Polish.

8. Crickett B

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Quote:So true.

And to really top it off, your actual "Polish" there isn't purebred - It's a red polish, meaning it is Ideal Hatchery's project of Leghorn x Polish.

I think I am the "Mutt Magnet" up here [​IMG]
    If these all live to make it outside, I'll have 20 of the most miss matched, unknown bunch of birds. But it's ok, as they all are loved and the most entertaining creatures! Some of them even like me back!

Crickett

9. Crickett B

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Quote:Brian, up there knows me rather well...lol. I visit the Feed Store "zoo" weekly. Some times I can resist bringing someone home "to save", most the times however, I can't. I've been eyeballing the Silkies they have, but since my birds free range during the day and are in a pen at night, I am not sure if they would fit in with my muttly crew. But they have a really sweet one in with the baby chicks............but then I have also been eyeballing a poor frizzled cochin roo in there for weeks, who Haley says is evil, but I think it's because he is stuck in a parakeet cage.

I saw your foundly the other day, while reading the board. He is handsome! He almost looks like Joseph. My teenage girls need a roo, so let me know if you still need a good home for him.

Seems I have 4 flocks and not one. King Nanner, Damien and Joseph have 5 hens that they "share", Evil Chicken (who I always thought was a roo wannabe) has Henritta. Then I have Chickie Little, a bantam mutt hen, that does not like anyone, and the four teen age girls that avoid everyone, but each other! With 5 acres, they all have their own zones [​IMG] I hope out of the 6 babies, if they make it, there is a roo in there (and not 6....lol) So they will have a "leader"

10. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    oh how cute. [​IMG]i called tsc feed store and they said they wont have any baby chicks still spring. was looking forward to some babies this week. but i think waiting till february might be wiser. It s getting so cold here in ct. already. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by