1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Gender ID help, please....UPDATE page 5

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Rozzie, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Rozzie

Rozzie Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    I could use your ideas on these three. There were 5 that I hatched in this batch.

The other two are totally & most definitely roosters. They are crowing like mad & have been separated from their hatchmates. (The five are all full or half siblings. Most are full siblings, I think.)

At least one of these three is female. It's either that or on of the roos prefers an alternate lifestyle.

They will be six weeks old tomorrow, Nov 11.

Bird 1
    [​IMG]

Bird 2
    [​IMG]

Bird 3
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010

2. katheria

katheria Songster

Apr 8, 2010
    taking my best guess from the pics

#1 male
    2 and 3: females....

2 and 3 do have some dots on feathers in chest area....

3. Robo

Robo Songster

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    They all look like roosters, but sometimes things are not like the seem. I would put my money on nubmer 1 being a rooster, and number 2 looks like one. Number 3 is questionable. I think you have at least 2 roosters.

4. Tony K T

Tony K T Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Look like all males to me.The hens have a salt and pepper breast pattern,while the males have a brownish tan color.
    In N.H.,tony.

5. Robo

Robo Songster

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Sometimes hens can have rusty breast feathers. I would vent sex them.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  6. Rozzie

Rozzie Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    No experience with vent sexing & not jumping up & down to learn yet. [​IMG]

Figure it's fun to get folks to try to guess & see if we are right! The others have been crowing for a week. Of course I've seen folks say they have some roos that don't crow til they are 9 weeks old & some that never crow. If worst comes to worst I'll know if no eggs appear...

7. katheria

katheria Songster

Apr 8, 2010
    Quote:yep i have quite a few females that have rusty breast feathers.... about 10 of them

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Crowing

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Nice Collection Of Boyz Ya Have There! [​IMG]

9. Rozzie

Rozzie Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:Baaaaaaaah! That's what I'm afraid of. The other two that I didn't include have a lot less spotting. If all 3 of those are boys then 5 out of 5 were boys. That would truly suck...

10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Crowing

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:Baaaaaaaah! That's what I'm afraid of. The other two that I didn't include have a lot less spotting. If all 3 of those are boys then 5 out of 5 were boys. That would truly suck...

YOU MEAN I'M NOT THE ONLY 1 HATCHING EGGS WITH A ROOSTERBATOR? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by