Gender ID (URGENT)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Kneedles, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Kneedles

Kneedles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Today I decided to buy this quail. I am currently desperate for a female for my male, but this was the closest one the pet shop had to a female. They are not entirely certain of its gender, as it is not fully grown yet. I would appreciate any help with identifying its gender. Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bkquail

bkquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2014
    California
    I heard the best way to tell as a yound age is vent size, The females will have a sligltly larger vent even if they are not laying yet. The females can be slightly larger than males. other than that you might have to wait untill she is mature good luck

1 person likes this.
  3. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    On browns I can usually tell by 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. This bird looks old enough to feather sex but I need to see the front chest area. Can't tell by the side or back. Can you post pics of this bird's front?

1 person likes this.
  4. thinkloically

thinkloically Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2013
    Frisco,Texas
    So far it looks like a female. You'd have to show the front of it to know more.

1 person likes this.
  5. Kneedles

Jul 22, 2014
    Wellington, New Zealand
    [​IMG]

This was the best I could do.

6. Sill

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    Looks like a hen.

1 person likes this.
  7. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

That is a hen. You really should try to find a couple more hens. Your coturnix roo will likely breed her to death if she is the only one. wild coturnix mate pairs, domestic coturnix need at least 3 hens and ideally more.

8. Kneedles

Jul 22, 2014
    Wellington, New Zealand
    I thought that "Coturnix" only referred to Japanese Quail.

9. Sill

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    This is a Japanese quail, aka coturnix, also called pharaoh quail, jumbo browns, browns, and several other names. Then there are the colors which all have names, the browns being the wild type color and one of the easiest to sex. There are many threads here dedicated to coturnix colors. Yours is a typical wild brown color.

Yes get more than this one hen or your male will kill her. Sorry I missed that in your first post. Three is minimum, four or more hens per rooster is better. He can keep up to seven hens fertile.

Where are you located? It's hard for us to help you when you don't use at least your approximate location under your avatar. (Under profile edit your community profile under location.) You can check your local Craigslist in the farm and garden section for more hens, that is where I got my original stock. You can post your own wanted ad there. Check local feed stores, they might be able to order some, or have a board to post ads. Several members here have eggs for sale or if they are close enough might have chicks for you to buy.

10. Kneedles

Jul 22, 2014
    Wellington, New Zealand
    This is actually a King Quail; sorry that I did not clarify that before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by