GENDER ID with DNA testing

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
9 Years
May 16, 2014
Hawaii
Just thought I would share my experience with DNA testing of feathers and now eggshell! When my Silkies were approximately six weeks old I wanted to determine their genders and had heard about feather testing using DNA. I sent feather samples of my six birds and ended up with three boys and three girls. Two of the boys went to a friend who wanted new bloodlines for his breeding program and I kept the remaining four. The company I used claimed 99.9% accuracy in the test results, in my case it was correct.
Fast forward to today and I am hatching Silkie crosses with plans to sell them. One of them has stolen my daughter’s heart and she really wanted to keep it. I decided to use the same company and try again with eggshell. It requires that you know which chick hatched from which eggshell.
I let the eggshell with membrane intact dry overnight and sent it off to the company last Saturday and then today I got the results that this little chick is indeed female which is what we were hoping!😀 I find this to be a valuable tool if you really need to know the gender of your birds. They don’t have to be silkies, though silkies are most commonly sent for testing.
It would not be cost-effective to test all birds using this method as it cost between $12 and $14 per bird.
Let’s hope this little girl that we’re keeping lays green eggs like her olive egger mother! (50% chance).😊

*Edited to remove identifying information. Apparently I needed express permission from the company to post the certificate. Didn’t want to get into trouble!😂

39BC3D6B-C2C7-4D16-9C38-D744A13C17FF.jpeg
EAF1FC4C-085B-4E77-AEEF-DDACCCAC2F04.jpeg

Last edited:
I can usually tell the sex of my birds by 2 or 3 weeks of age but I can see where accurate DNA sexing results can be quite valuable.
Are you not able to disclose the company name?
Yes, it was IQ Bird testing, apparently at the bottom of the certificate it states: "reproduction of this report is prohibited without express written consent". Just wanted to be on the safe side!
They have quick turn around times and I am sure they appreciate the advertising anyway! 😊

How’s the little girl doing now?
I unfortunately do not know how she is. I ended up giving her to a “friend” who took one of my cockerels, to sweeten the deal. I have not heard anything and the one time I asked, I got a very vague answer. She was a beautiful bird, I regret not keeping her.🙁
I have this photo from when she was about 2 months old.
EA5E1FDC-27E3-4D8D-A5E6-5CB6DC381E8A.jpeg

Her full sibs ended up laying pale olive colored eggs anyway, according to the folks that bought them.🙂

I unfortunately do not know how she is. I ended up giving her to a “friend” who took one of my cockerels, to sweeten the deal. I have not heard anything and the one time I asked, I got a very vague answer. She was a beautiful bird, I regret not keeping her.🙁
I have this photo from when she was about 2 months old.View attachment 2872140
Her full sibs ended up laying pale olive colored eggs anyway, according to the folks that bought them.🙂
She is very pretty!:loveSorry you didn't end up keeping her. :(

Just thought I would share my experience with DNA testing of feathers and now eggshell! When my Silkies were approximately six weeks old I wanted to determine their genders and had heard about feather testing using DNA. I sent feather samples of my six birds and ended up with three boys and three girls. Two of the boys went to a friend who wanted new bloodlines for his breeding program and I kept the remaining four. The company I used claimed 99.9% accuracy in the test results, in my case it was correct.
Fast forward to today and I am hatching Silkie crosses with plans to sell them. One of them has stolen my daughter’s heart and she really wanted to keep it. I decided to use the same company and try again with eggshell. It requires that you know which chick hatched from which eggshell.
I let the eggshell with membrane intact dry overnight and sent it off to the company last Saturday and then today I got the results that this little chick is indeed female which is what we were hoping!😀 I find this to be a valuable tool if you really need to know the gender of your birds. They don’t have to be silkies, though silkies are most commonly sent for testing.
It would not be cost-effective to test all birds using this method as it cost between $12 and $14 per bird.
Let’s hope this little girl that we’re keeping lays green eggs like her olive egger mother! (50% chance).😊

*Edited to remove identifying information. Apparently I needed express permission from the company to post the certificate. Didn’t want to get into trouble!😂

View attachment 2445286View attachment 2445334
Look at that chubby fluffy little cutie!

Back
Top Bottom