1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender Identification Please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FreeSpirit, Jul 5, 2007.

1. FreeSpirit

FreeSpirit Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2007
    Here's 3 Golden Laced Cochin Bantams that I'd like to identify since I'll be selling them.

I believe this one is a roo
    [​IMG]

Another pic of him. Hope you can see the comb and wattles well enough.
    [​IMG]

And I think these are hens. (Hopefully!)
    [​IMG]

2. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are they?

They all look pretty hen-ish to me, but as I'm having gener issues with my own GL Cochin bantams I'm probably not the best judge. [​IMG] Have you heard any crowing attempts? My (definite) roo started in at about three weeks, and almost has a decent crow now at eight weeks.

Either way, nice looking birds! Are they your own or from a hatchery?

3. FreeSpirit

Jul 5, 2007
    Sorry, forgot to put when they were hatched: May 27th, so that would make them about 5 weeks old or so.

The bottom 2 look like hens to me, also. The top one I am not so sure about. No crowing attempts yet.

I don't have a roo (can't keep one) so they are not my own stock, but some eggs were from eggbid.com and others were chicks from hatchery.

I'm in love with cochins! [​IMG]

Jordanne

4. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Hmm.. I'm not the best judge, since I have my own flock of ladies.. and one or two that may be in disguise... [​IMG]

But they look like hens to me, too. The slightly larger comb may just indicate a slightly faster maturing girl. My BRs all are the exact same age, but their comb sizes go from small (in a bird who has light coloring like a roo), to medium (including one with waddles starting that I think is a roo) to larger (in my definite hen). Sometimes it really is wait and see. My group are 7.5 weeks, and no crowing attempts yet, so I may have all girls. This sexing thing isn't nearly as easy as I thought it would be!

-Meghan

5. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    I think they all look like hens.

6. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    all girls i think...how old are they?

7. FreeSpirit

Jul 5, 2007
    Quote:They hatched on May 27th, so that would make them about 5 weeks old or so.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  8. FreeSpirit

Jul 5, 2007
    Wow... I really hope they are all hens!

That first one worries me because its comb is a wee bit bigger... but no real wattle growth and it is extremely friendly ... loves to jump on laps. Cross your fingers![​IMG]

9. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    well, i think both of them are hens. . .but i might be wrong!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by