Gender Identification Please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FreeSpirit, Jul 5, 2007.

1. FreeSpirit

FreeSpirit Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2007
    Here's 3 Golden Laced Cochin Bantams that I'd like to identify since I'll be selling them.

I believe this one is a roo
    [​IMG]

Another pic of him. Hope you can see the comb and wattles well enough.
    [​IMG]

And I think these are hens. (Hopefully!)
    [​IMG]

2. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are they?

They all look pretty hen-ish to me, but as I'm having gener issues with my own GL Cochin bantams I'm probably not the best judge. [​IMG] Have you heard any crowing attempts? My (definite) roo started in at about three weeks, and almost has a decent crow now at eight weeks.

Either way, nice looking birds! Are they your own or from a hatchery?

3. FreeSpirit

Jul 5, 2007
    Sorry, forgot to put when they were hatched: May 27th, so that would make them about 5 weeks old or so.

The bottom 2 look like hens to me, also. The top one I am not so sure about. No crowing attempts yet.

I don't have a roo (can't keep one) so they are not my own stock, but some eggs were from eggbid.com and others were chicks from hatchery.

I'm in love with cochins! [​IMG]

Jordanne

4. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Hmm.. I'm not the best judge, since I have my own flock of ladies.. and one or two that may be in disguise... [​IMG]

But they look like hens to me, too. The slightly larger comb may just indicate a slightly faster maturing girl. My BRs all are the exact same age, but their comb sizes go from small (in a bird who has light coloring like a roo), to medium (including one with waddles starting that I think is a roo) to larger (in my definite hen). Sometimes it really is wait and see. My group are 7.5 weeks, and no crowing attempts yet, so I may have all girls. This sexing thing isn't nearly as easy as I thought it would be!

-Meghan

5. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    I think they all look like hens.

6. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    all girls i think...how old are they?

7. FreeSpirit

Jul 5, 2007
    Quote:They hatched on May 27th, so that would make them about 5 weeks old or so.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  8. FreeSpirit

Jul 5, 2007
    Wow... I really hope they are all hens!

That first one worries me because its comb is a wee bit bigger... but no real wattle growth and it is extremely friendly ... loves to jump on laps. Cross your fingers![​IMG]

9. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    well, i think both of them are hens. . .but i might be wrong!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by