gender Identification

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gogododo, Oct 21, 2011.

1. gogododo

gogododo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    My 4 week old chicks are starting to get little combs forming, they all look like little feather klingons.

Some combs are more pronounced than others, is this a sign of their gender? I've also noticed some aggressiveness between a few... well not aggressive but perhaps posturing is the better work, lots of standing really tall staring at each other

Tom

2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    If you can post photos, this group is great at identifying males from females.

Comb growth is not always a good indicator because different breeds will develop combs at different rates.

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
  4. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    We hatched our chicks back in April, 15 in total and ended up with 9 roos! The only real way we knew they were roosters was when they started crowing. We had our suspicians on a few, the pointed neck and rump feathers and green tail feathers but it took 4 months to idenify all the roos for sure.
    It was a great experience for my kids (and me & hubby), hatching our own but I don't think I will ever do it again simply because I got so stressed out thinking...... 10 hens to 1 roo! That's a lot of chickens! And then finding a good home where they wouldn't end up in a stew pot was also very stressful! I did though, fortunately, and 7 of our roos are now happily living on a free range farm with 250 hens!

5. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Maybe yes, maybe no. It depends on the breed and the individual bird's genetic makeup, too.

6. gogododo

gogododo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    5 different breeds, don't remember them all, i'd have to dig up the order.

But see for yourself

http://tipsyvenetian.com:85

username is peep, no password

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by