Gender Identifiers

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pieta23, Sep 22, 2012.

1. pieta23

pieta23 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2012
    So I've posted a few picture on this forum asking for gender of a chicken to be identified. Can any of you old pros give me some tips on getting better at this myself. What do you look for and what are some of the more sure fire indicators (other can eggs or crowing, I know those :)).

Thanks.

2. RachaelS

RachaelS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Pointy hackles and pointy saddle feathers. You can really see them on my boy. Also depending on breed, such as the below Silver Plymouth Rock, color helps, at 6 weeks the boys had solid black chests the girls had laced chests.

[​IMG]

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    depending on breed you can tell by several features:

1) comb and wattles ~ on cockerels these tend to develop quicker and turn redder than a pullets. a pullets comb and wattles don't turn red till point of lay.

2) feather development ~ around 13-15 weeks of age a cockerel will start to develop the long slender pointed hackle and saddle feathers while on a pullet you will see no change really in these feathers, they stay fat and rounded and the saddles on a hen don't grow out like a cockerels will. there are also the sickle feathers on the tail. these are those 2 long curved feathers you see on roosters. hens do not develop these.

3) feather color ~ some colors such as partridge feather in different with males being one color while females are a different color.

again all these will depend on the breed and color of the chicken a good example of were the only thing you can go by is the comb and wattle development is on hen feathered breeds such as sebrights. males and females feather in the same so the only way to tell gender is by their comb and wattle development. i will try and get some labeled pics as well to reference though these might take a while to do. i will also be using my own pics of my chickens as well (i don't have any hen feathered breeds though so will try to find some pics from online of them)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by