Gender identifies please!

Well, there are a few ways to tell. First off, what breed are they?

Depending on the breed, some are far easier to gender-identify than others.
Also, pictures of your chickens will help us all out a lot, so someone here maybe can help you!

In many breeds, the tail feathers and combs/wattles will be different, especially at a few months of age. Roos also tend to have thicker legs and pointed neck and saddle feathers.

welcome-byc.gif

At this age you can go by combs. If they're under say 4 months, any birds with red comb or wattles are male. Females don't get red until they're ready to lay, around 5 months.

You can always post pics here and we can help. We love to look at pictures!

This is Lil' Grey. After reading yalls replies I think he maybe a rooster but his poor tail feathers are so short. And btw, we have no clue what kinds of chickens we have. We just got them from my aunt and uncles pastor.

I'm really curious about this one because it's so incredibly friendly. Out of the two batches of incubator babies, which are about a month or so apart, the second hatch came out so much friendly and people loving. And when I say people loving I mean me. Lil' Grey will sit on my shoulder, my lap or just follow me around. Poor thing is one of the smaller ones and gets picked on a lot.

I'm really curious about this one because it's so incredibly friendly. Out of the two batches of incubator babies, which are about a month or so apart, the second hatch came out so much friendly and people loving. And when I say people loving I mean me. Lil' Grey will sit on my shoulder, my lap or just follow me around. Poor thing is one of the smaller ones and gets picked on a lot.

I'll vote cockerel based on the comb. Depending on the breed the rusty color over the back/wings could be another clue pointing towards male.

Back
Top Bottom