1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender/Identify breed these Baby Peepers!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Thumbelina, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Thumbelina

Thumbelina Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2014
    Cruz Bay, St John UsVi
    Hi, I rescued 4 baby chicks one night after I found them curled around their dead mother. I live in the UsVi, StJohn Cruz Bay Area. Both towns on island are over run with chickens, there are NO predators except when they're babies. Iguanas, mongooses, & other Roosters(2 the baby males anyway) and random dogs sometimes are the only threats. I'm trying to figure out which breed(S) they're and what sex my baby peepers are! If I have a male I will need to keep him longer in protective care till he's big enough to fight for himself. If I do have a male, I will also need to relocate the rooster already on my property. Which won't be a problem, there's a guy on island that will move them to his estate/other areas he knows are open for them. So please take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think!!! I believe I may have 3 females and 1 male(this is the one I need to know about mainly) or all females. :) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. They are kind of hard to tell. Real cute chicks though.

3. Thumbelina

Feb 27, 2014
    Cruz Bay, St John UsVi
    Yea, the first single peeper is the one I'm having trouble with the sex. Though that last one has very structure, also their tails are changing? Good? Bad? First time with healthy babies. I've rescued a few that were sick, 1 made went on to survive, the other sadly passed during the night. So I'm excited that ill be able to actually watch these ones grow, play and live. Right in my yard too! Best part about here is that most of the chickens thrive here! except for the dump chickies, they're sickly and make me sad when I see one....

4. If any I would guess the lightest colored one might be a little rooster. Good luck with your raising them and I know you will have fun with them.

5. Thumbelina

Feb 27, 2014
    Cruz Bay, St John UsVi
    Question: why do they roll around in the dirt?

6. They take dirt baths it feels good and helps keep them clean.

7. Thumbelina

Feb 27, 2014
    Cruz Bay, St John UsVi
    Thank you! Was wondering about that. One more question what is so bad about the percent of calcium in feed? I can't find out what the one i have is, there wasnt a label on it, they bought bulk then split it into smaller bags. & no money till tomorrow to see if I can't find a different kind. Which I may not even be able to do. Only so many stores on island and I've checked all but one store. So there is a possibility I may not even be able to get a different kind :( :he

8. MissMaryMac

MissMaryMac Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    Beautiful chickies! I wonder what breed they are?

9. Thumbelina

Feb 27, 2014
    Cruz Bay, St John UsVi
    [​IMG]

I don't know, WHICH BREED IS THIS ROOSTER?!? He's a typical island rooster. The females are generally a dusty - burnt brown! :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by