Gender identity for 4 different breeds at 7 weeks old?

truchicks

Chirping
May 15, 2016
Fort Worth, TX
Hi! I'm new to chickens and I have my first 4 "hens" (hopefully) and was wondering if it is possible to tell gender by looks at 7 weeks?
I will post each chicken in separate post.

Lavender Orpington - 7 1/2 weeks
Is it normal for her feathers to look frayed? She is the only one whose feathers look this way.

Close up of face.

You've got yourself some pullets!
ya.gif

Oh I hope truchicks SS is not a rooster, because my Poulette, also 7 1/2 weeks looks very much the same......we drove to the nearby hatchery (Estes in Springfield) on May 16th to get her and her BR sister, and they said they hadn't sexed the SS's yet, but supposedly did this one for me. I have had good luck so far with Estes's sexing.

While we are at it, here's the BR we got the same day,

and here are both together

Last edited:
Oh I hope truchicks SS is not a rooster, because my Poulette, also 7 1/2 weeks looks very much the same......we drove to the nearby hatchery (Estes in Springfield) on May 16th to get her and her BR sister, and they said they hadn't sexed the SS's yet, but supposedly did this one for me. I have had good luck so far with Estes's sexing. While we are at it, here's the BR we got the same day, and here are both together
They are beautiful
1f60d.png
The only difference I can see between ours is mine doesn't have the beautiful tail like yours
1f615.png
I wonder if anyone else can shed some light on our SS???
1f601.png

Well, that big tail may not be a good sign....I don't want a rooster either. We don't have enough hens for a rooster.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom