1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender Identity Issues

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Flock In Texas, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Flock In Texas

Flock In Texas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2016
    Texas
    We bought 5 chicks of varied breeds and they were supposed to have been sexed. Our speckled Sussex had big feet, so we named her Sasquatch and call her "Sassy" for short. Her comb and wattles have come in much faster than all of the other chicks. All of my girls are about 9-10 weeks old. Here are a couple of pictures of Sassy. Should we start calling her Squatch?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That's a Rhode Island Red and Americauna behind Sassy. The RIR is about a week older.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  2. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Huge comb for 9 or 10 weeks. Has to be a cockerel.

3. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    x2

4. Flock In Texas

Aug 7, 2016
    Texas
    Then we'll call him "Squatch". Thanks for the input.

He has been acting differently than the others. He doesn't mind wandering off by himself. He doesn't mind being picked up and he pecks at my meal worm bag if wants a treat. Lately, nobody messes with him in the "yard". When my pitbull/Dalmatian mix came out of the house, he ran at the dog flapping his wings trying to intimidate the dog.(I think Pork Chop laughed at Squatch.) He tries to herd the girls around the yard sometimes. My wife heard crowing this morning after I left for work. She said that it sounded like he was trying to start a car.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yep. Cockerel. I see saddle feathers. Glad you're okay with it.

6. Flock In Texas

Aug 7, 2016
    Texas
    I'm new to this chicken thing. It's kind of an adventure/learning experience. Now I can see the difference firsthand instead of just being well read. I'm just glad that I live outside the city limits and my neighbors aren't too close. Squatch has always been my favorite. He still is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by