Gender Identity Issues?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hypnochyck, Sep 22, 2011.

1. hypnochyck

hypnochyck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Benicia, CA
    So, this morning I wake to a crowing rooster. I don't have a rooster, it must be the neighbor's right? Wrong. My six month old Blue Langshan is flapping "her" wings and crowing right before sunrise this morning! As I stood at the back door with my jaw slack, I thought, how could that be? Here are the facts
    She is a HUGE bird, standing twice the height of the other birds
    She is six months old and NEVER crowed before now. (odd, right?)
    She doesn't corral the other girls and never seen her try to mate
    She has a comb and a waddle, but both genders of this breed seem to
    She has pretty tail feathers, but they stand up, not arching down and hanging like the pictures of this breed's male.
    She's not quite old enough to lay yet, but any time now, and I haven't seen any "new' brown eggs.

And, finally, no, I don't have a photo with me, but if I remember, I'll take one when I get home.

So, my question is, can hens crow, if they're feelin' froggy? I've heard a hen can take a male role, if there is no rooster. True?

It's getting worse! Earlier crowing and longer period of time!

I don't see an attachment button for photos! Who can help me?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  2. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

I've never heard a hen crow, but have heard them make some loud noises.

I think we NEED pics to know for sure. Good luck.

3. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Yes, I do believe some hens will crow or make a "crowing" sound...none of mine ever have but I have a GF who swears one of her hens crows regularly....pics would be great [​IMG]

4. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Post pics! Sounds like your "hen" might be a "roo!"

5. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Hens can crow, but roos cannot lay eggs. Only sure way to tell is if s/he lays.

6. crazy4spurs

crazy4spurs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have a Cuckoo Maran hen that crows all the time...we call her Gus!! [​IMG]

7. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    If all you have are hens then one of them may be taking on the role of rooster, and yes, I've heard that can include crowing.

8. hypnochyck

hypnochyck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Benicia, CA
    I can't figure out how to upload the image from my upload page to the forum. [​IMG]

9. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    go to your uploads, then copy and paste the "IMG" link into the "post" box. The img link will be the one that says image as opposed to "thumb", it will be the bottom link under each pic.

10. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    I have an all hen flock and my mom would tell me I had a roo because she hears him crowing. I would giggle at her and tell her theres no way I have a roo. All of my girls lay eggs. Yesterday I was up early and I heard loud flapping in the arbor. I snuck out and peeked into the arbor and there she was my little hen crowing her heart out. She was on a perch with the 20 other hens gathered around her like it was an early morning walmart meeting! Lol it was the funniest thing I have ever seen. So I told mom, we don't have a roo. We have a hen with an idenity issue lol. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by