Gender Identity Issues???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blessedchickenmama7, Oct 25, 2008.

1. blessedchickenmama7

blessedchickenmama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Okay, I am hoping not to offend. But I am rather ignorant about chickens having just started my first flock this past spring. I have five roos (a huge sign I'm ignorant and a softie, too.) Anyway, I have had absolutely no problem with them yet. In fact, 3 of the 5 don't act like roos at all. (They are all 24-26 weeks old.) The largest roo is a Maran and he has always been THE ROO. Two others are Australorps, and are sweet as pie. One is Ameracauna. And the other is a game mix and is the only one I think I may have a problem with. I was sure until last week he was a she but rapid changes in comb, wattles, spurs and feathers along with his behavior worry me. None of the boys have crowed yet. I don't have any eggs yet from my hens either. Do I just have a bunch of late bloomers or do my roos not know they are roos? I really hate to get rid of any of them, especially seeing as they give no problems. When they are out, they run right up like the hens do, with the exception of the Maran roo. He keeps his distance, but if I call him, he allows me approach slowly and pick him up and pet him. He went through a period of aggressiveness (biting) but after a few adjustments that has subsided.

Anyway, I guess the main question is, has anyone had any success keeping this many roos together with only 8 hens? I am worried about the hens as well. Would it be possible to keep just the roos together if they get to be too much for the hens?

Or do I just need to get over and try to rehome them...

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I think you will find as they mature, that the roos will fight over the hens. the best ratio is 12-15 hens per roo. So you do have WAY too many. And I totally understand about being a sucker for your chickens! I think we ALL get that.

3. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Some people do have success keeping their roos in a bachelor pen away from the ladies. To get along together they do have to be virgins and kept away from the ladies.

4. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Its normal for some of them not to be crowing yet. Especially if there is a head roo, sometimes the others will allow to be.
    I have one that crows so the rest of them don't.
    As far as the hens not laying yet, that has nothing to do with the roosters.
    The hens will probably lay soon. None of mine laid before they were at least 6 months old.
    You do have to many roosters and like some of the others have suggested, someone's gotta go.
    I had to do the same thing, its a bummer.But you will avoid alot of issues later on.

5. blessedchickenmama7

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Thanks for the replies, Everyone. I am going to try the bachelor pen first I think. If I have to rehome, I am feeling like that won't be too easy...

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Chickens are addictive!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    I too have a lot of roos and really not enough hens, so what I do is let 3 or 4 with the hens in the yard and the others stay in the run. If one is being overly aggressive I do have a time out cage, that usually takes the wind out of their sails! You do have options but you really do need more hens eventually. Good luck with your bachelor pad I know how hard it is to rehome that is why I have so many roos too. But hey we make it work and so can you hopefully. [​IMG]

8. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

A bachelor pen works best if they can't see the hens. If they share a fence they will wear themselves out flirting through the wire and it can cause fights.

I have 8 boys right now and only 26 girls. I have one bachelor yard with three boys, one by himself- temporary situation, one boy with 3 girls, and 3 young guys with 24 girls. I know how they can get to you! I'm juggling over here trying to keep them all happy. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  9. blessedchickenmama7

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    My hubby says we should cook 'em... after all, I did say I was getting chickens for practical reasons. Only they are pets now...

So I told him, you do the deed, and I'll do the cooking.

Looks like I'm getting a bachelor pad after all...

10. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

HA! Yeah it's easier said than done. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by