gender in ducks??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kaliisgreen, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Kaliisgreen

Kaliisgreen Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2013
    maine
    okay this may sound odd, but can ducks have multiple genders?? i've got one duck who i originally thought would be a girl due to size, but as the rest of its siblings learned to quack it was very quiet, so i figured it'd be a drake. when he finally did learn to quack((much later than the rest of them for some reason)) it sounded like a drake. but every now and then i would question it again because he would quack and it would sound like a mix between the raspy male quack and loud female quack. when his green feathers started to grow in i thought i must just be hearing him wrong and he is definitely a drake. however now i've noticed his head isn't completely green like his brother. it's got brown markings across his face. i'm just confused because his siblings seem like perfect examples of the gendered feather patterns and voices but he just seems like both. is it possible or is he just an oddball drake??

2. Kaliisgreen

May 25, 2013
    maine
    [​IMG]

this is his face with the brown markings

3. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    How old is this duck and what breed. I believe that there may be a trans gender duck but the likely hood of that happen is VERY rare, if even possible. Some ducks take longer than others to be able to sex them. I noticed with my pekins that one was very much a drake by 8 weeks and the other I didn't know till 12+ weeks. The second just didn't talk much and wasn't a quack or a rasp. They are both boys and are just starting to get drake feather and are 14 weeks. If the duck in question is quiet then more than likely it is a drake. If you think it is a drake then it probably is. My smaller drake is very vocal and was the one I knew was a drake right away.

ETA: That is a he and it looks like he is molting.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  4. Kaliisgreen

May 25, 2013
    maine
    [​IMG]

here is him with his brother and sister. i've also noticed that he doesn't have curled tail feathers

5. Kaliisgreen

May 25, 2013
    maine
    he's got messed up legs and he's also matured much slower than his siblings which i believe were caused by complications while he was still in the egg so i'm just thinking that maybe gender problems could also come from that. he's six months old. he quacks a lot now and it's usually a male quack but every now and then he just lets out a louder very girly quack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by