Gender is completely up in the air! Any guesses!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Amanda39, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Amanda39

Amanda39 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2014
    White Lake, Michigan
    Hi Everyone! So, when I hatced my 2 geese, I randomly named the Embden Lucy and the Chinese/Toulous mix Moose. We have been assuming Lucy is a girl and Moose is a boy from day 1.
    Over the summer, I gave my sweet geese away because it was never meant to keep them, just the learning experience from the hatch. However, about a month and a half after giving them away, we often visited them, it was getting harder and harder to leave and always ended in tears, both from my children, and myself. So, I made the decision to bring them home.

While they were in their temporary home, they were with 2 other ducks. 1 male and 1 female. The male started trying to mount my Toulous mix goose and succeeded in pulling out a lot of neck feathers and tail feathers. At that point, we assumed he was a SHE as the male duck was mounting her.

Today, while watching the geese in their pool at my home, the Toulous goose mounted my Embden goose. Completely confusing us and making us think again about their gender.

My white Embden is first to greet people and Hiss, yet, is the quieter one of the 2. The toulous is very noisy. The white goose often leads on walks in front of the Toulous, but the Toulous is way more vocal and responds to his/her name.

I have posted pictures, but I'm going to post a video as well.

Were we right? Moose is a boy, Lucy is a girl? Was it a freak thing? Why would a male duck mount a male goose and not touch the other? If Moose is a female, why then would she mount another female?
    I'm completely confused. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Amanda39

Apr 14, 2014
    White Lake, Michigan
    Here is the video....

3. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    White male and brown female even tho is some pics it looks like 2 females due to size

4. Amanda39

Apr 14, 2014
    White Lake, Michigan
    Thank you so much! Or Go raibh maith agat!

5. Amanda39

Apr 14, 2014
    White Lake, Michigan
    But, is it normal for a female to mount a male, or another female?

6. servpolice

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Yes it may seem weird with us but it is normal for geese but what i noticed since i have over 50 geese that only my females that don't have a partner molt other females or it means that females want to be mated with.

7. servpolice

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Tá fáilte romhat ;)
    Labhraíonn tú Gaeilge ?! :0

1 person likes this.
  8. Amanda39

Apr 14, 2014
    White Lake, Michigan
    No I don't speak Gaelic fluently :( But, I own an Irish dance school and I'm Irish/Scot :)

I teach a little Gaelic at each class, for example during stretches we count to 20, I have taught them to have small conversations, they know a few Holidays, water, candy, yes, no, I love you etc. Just the nice things, I keep my private collection of swears to my self :)

9. servpolice

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Hahaha i see well i learned Irish in back when i was in Ireland years ago and in collage and it is a very hard Language to study unlike Français

10. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

What lovely photos. I´d say they´re both females, myself.... Not just by the way they look, but by the things you said they´ve been doing.
    Well, that makes sense. My friends´children in Wexford learn Irish in school, or at least they used to. and I totally agree, French is a lot easier. It´s knowing French that helped me learn Portuguese, being latin-based. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by