Gender issue: Golden laced Wyandotte and Chantecler white

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by simonduval, Jul 8, 2016.

1. simonduval

simonduval New Egg

Jul 7, 2016
    Hi guys,

Me again, this time coming with this Golden laced Wyandotte, 2 months old, pullet or cockerel? Also, I thought this Chantecler white was a pullet but now she's starting to front and fight with my Brahma Buff Bantam who is supposed to be a cockerel. Don't be fooled by her tail, she had feather problems and they are all broken and not growing correctly. She's got the biggest legs of all of my chickens but I know it's a large breed, anyway your opinion will be welcome!

Simon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    GLW is a cockerel.

Is the CW the same age (two months)?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  3. simonduval

simonduval New Egg

Jul 7, 2016
    Oups sorry forgot to say the Chantecler is 3 months old.

4. JedJackson

JedJackson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2016
    Wyandotte is definitely a cockerel. Chanteclers are difficult to distinguish because of their small combs & wattles. I see no pointed sex feathers in that bird's neck or saddle, but the legs are large. I wouldn't take fighting with a bantam cockerel as evidence that it's male-- female birds often fight males, especially when young and when the male bird is smaller. My guess is it's female if it hasn't crowed yet but definitely not 100% sure.

5. simonduval

simonduval New Egg

Jul 7, 2016
    Ok thanks, the Chantecler hasn't made a sound yet, that's for sure, we'll hope for a hen then!
    Too bad about that GLW, I really liked it but we can't keep roosters here so we'll have to find him a new home!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by