Gender, just in case.........

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by emjay, Oct 22, 2009.

1. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    seeing as I've already bought a roo who was supposed to be a pullet, want to make sure I don't have second one, I am pretty sure she's a she, as she's quite round and her tail is not straight up, but her comb is alot more prominent then her sisters who is the same age. I have read they all mature at varying rates, but, I'd love to hear from the experts for reassurance. They are about 9 weeks old.

[​IMG]

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I would vote for roo at this point.

3. roostercruiser

roostercruiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2009
    Reelsville, IN
    I would vote roo also if we are talking about the one that is closer.

4. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I agree with the other two replies. Look at the color and the wattles. I have 8 Australorps the same age and they look just like mine and the one closer to the camera I would bet you is a roo. Not so bad unless you aren't allowed to have them. He is pretty.

5. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    By the way, I was reading a while back on how to tell the difference in gender, and many people said that the boys feather slower than the girls. Possibly that is why he doesn't have the pronounced tail feathering. Then again, I think that is kind of phooey, I have a roo with the longest, nicest stand-up tail and another with almost none to speak of. He may start crowing soon and let you know what he is [​IMG]

6. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I wouldn't give up yet, I think it is very hennish looking. I think australorps are hard to sex sometimes because they seem to grow at different rates.

7. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Another trick that I read people use to sex their chicks is to put your hand over them and the hens will squat and the roos will stick they necks out in curiosity. Another urban myth if you ask me. I have roos and pullets who came pecking at my hand and then some of both that cowered.

8. emjay

Sep 6, 2009
    here's some new ones taken a couple of days ago. I'm still on the fence with this one. If he's a roo, he has a lovely flock of ladies to go be a sire too, and I have a female replacement, but, don't want to get rid of him/her too soon.

[​IMG]

front left is one in question, they are about a week in age apart. about 13 weeks old, give or take.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The legs scream roo, but I've been surprised before.

10. emjay

Sep 6, 2009
    the legs, yes, I was staring at the thickness of them today. bummer.

here's a closer pic.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by