Gender? Mixed breed? 5 week olds

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nuzmomto2, Jun 1, 2010.

1. nuzmomto2

nuzmomto2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Hickory, PA
    If I have posted inappropriately, please just let me know and I will fix it - thanks.

Hoping to find some help on determining the gender of these ladies [​IMG]. We hatched these from eggs and I can provide newborn pictures if needed. They 5 weeks old. "MR. Rooster" has displayed aggressive behavior towards other chicks and has been separated. Houdini had his tail feather pecked off by MR. Rooster and will the be only rooster kept (if he's a he). Yellow is suspected to be a rooster with the other two hopefully being pullets.
    They were all born from the same rooster and a variety of hens. The rooster had feathered feet and one hen had a red comb - making sexing for this first timer even harder!!!

Chicklet image 1 - HEN?
    [​IMG]
    Chicklet image 2
    [​IMG]
    Chicklet image 3
    [​IMG]

Houdini image 1 - ROO?
    [​IMG]

MR. Rooster image 1 - ROO?
    [​IMG]
    MR. Rooster image 2
    [​IMG]

Speckles image 1 - HEN?
    [​IMG]
    Speckles image 2
    [​IMG]

Yellow image 1 - ROO?
    [​IMG]
    Yellow image 2
    [​IMG]

Hens and 1 rooster will be kept. Have a home for another roster. Any other roosters will be culled. [​IMG]
    Yellow and Houdini have been seen standing tall and "fighting". Speckles seems to care less and Chicklet is somewhere in between (interested, but not participating). Chicklet has received her name as being short for "Chicken Little" - she literally will run around as if the sky is falling. One very crazy chicken!

THANKS for any and all help!!!!

2. chickaddict

chickaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Bristol
    Looks like you got it right to me, but i'm no expert

3. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    looks like you got all your guesses right to me also.

your birds are pretty!

4. nuzmomto2

Jun 1, 2010
    Hickory, PA
    Thanks for the replies so far. If definitely helps me. THANKS.

I need to rehome at least 1 of the roos soon. We have 3 pullets (hatchery sexed [​IMG]) that are 1 1/2 weeks old and I want to put them in with these chicks (with a wire divider) in a couple of weeks. MR. Rooster is taking up that spot right now. He needs to go as soon as we're sure he's a roo!!!!

Houdini isn't much to look at [​IMG] (I think MR. Rooster and Yellow are better looking) but he's sooooo nice!!!! He HAS to be the roo we keep. If Houdini happens to end up being Holly, we would keep Yellow.

Do you think I need to give it more time before rehoming MR. Rooster (or Yellow)?

5. nuzmomto2

Jun 1, 2010
    Hickory, PA
    Do you guys think I need to give it more time before letting go of MR. Rooster or is he DEFINITELY a he?

Being new to all of this "guessing" is tough, but the fact that one of the hens that these eggs came from has a very red comb makes it even harder. Don't know if any of the chicks have that trait or not.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  6. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    You got it right. Mr Rooster is a cockerel. I would definitely get rid of him and keep the nice cockerel. I had some easter egger chicks and they were very aggressive towards my new hampshires (all but of the easter eggers were cockerels) so they are no longer a part of my flock. The new hampshire chicks are very calm now and happy. Even my 2 new hampshire cockerels gets along with each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by