Gender of 3week 4day Barnevelder, Platinum Sussex and Speckled Sussex

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BellaSaff, Dec 31, 2013.

1. BellaSaff

BellaSaff Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    Hi,
    We brought these little unsexed (hopefully girls) home at two days old and we are not allowed to have cockerals.

The little Speckled Sussex has been offered to join a new home in a few days if he is a rooster (and I can take on a sexed D'Uccle). Please what do you think. Are these chookies boys or girls?
    [​IMG]

All three chicks

[​IMG]
    Barnevelder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Platinum Sussex

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Speckled Sussex

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Gender guesses on chicks that age would be just that 'guesses'.

3. BellaSaff

Dec 31, 2013
    I have been searching posts and seen some answers for these age groups. You have a good point. However I am still eager for any other advice.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

sorry, way too young to tell. Try again around 6 weeks of age.

5. BellaSaff

Dec 31, 2013
    Thank you, That does seem to be the best advice. Will be back with more lovely pics :)

6. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Yup, too young. Mine are just over a month old and I'm not 100% on them. But would love to say that your chicks are gorgeous [​IMG] Please update with pics.

7. BellaSaff

Dec 31, 2013
    We think so too :D Here's hoping we can watch them all grow up. If we have any cockerals we can return them to the produce store for adoption. However the current offering is with someone who is breeding speckled sussex. Sounds like a good life for a young fella who is country bound.
    Anyways the hubby and I have decided to wait and see and will stay hoping that the broody lady with the speckled sussex will still be interested in the weeks to come.
    Also we will adopt a little D'Uccle.
    Would it be okay to pop an under week old chick with this little flock? Or would they try and dominate at this stage of life?

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've put littles in with older chicks this age before and been okay. Haven't had the little chick be a bantam, though, so not sure if that will make things harder as she's smaller to begin with. My advice with chickens is usually....try it and see, and have a contingency plan if it doesn't work.

10. maxpedley

maxpedley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    what youve got there isnt a speckled sussex. I think he is actually a buff sussex.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by