Gender of 4 Barred Rock x Lav Orp Chicks - Pic Heavy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by greenfamilyfarms, Jul 12, 2010.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I've been watching these for a while and I'm still on the fence about the gender of these chicks. Mama was a Barred Rock and Daddy was a Lavender Orpington. The Barred Rock had a large comb as a pullet, and these look just like she did at the same age. They are also all dark barred. However, I still can't tell gender(s) for sure. Y'all help me out! These boogers were hard to catch since they have been free-range yard birds since day one.

Together (kind of):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #1
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chick #2
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chick #3
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chick #4
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Also, while you're at it, confirm that this is a Black Orpington pullet (please?):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your help! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I think the Barred Rock crosses are pullets but not positive on that last one. That Black Orpington looks like a cockerel to me though... I am not experienced with that breed, but those legs are SO thick and the chick is really red in the face.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    How old is the Black Orp? Looks pullet.

No idea on the Barred Rock, no expert, except the Lavender part! lol [​IMG]

4. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:I guess age would be a nice piece of info to have - sorry about that! The Black Orp is 2 day older than the BR/LO crosses. But, generally speaking they are about 2 1/2 months old now.

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    If the mother what a barred rock and the dad was the lav orp like you say, then that is going to make sexlinks and all of the barred ones fromt hat cross are roos and all of the solid black ones are pullets.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  6. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:That is what we thought, too, after looking at some genetics calculators. But, with their looks and personalities I was starting to have doubts. I know that a BO and BR will produce sex-links, but I'm not sure how accurate that is for a BRxLO breeding.

7. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:That is what we thought, too, after looking at some genetics calculators. But, with their looks and personalities I was starting to have doubts. I know that a BO and BR will produce sex-links, but I'm not sure how accurate that is for a BRxLO breeding.

It is accurate, as long as you have barred hens of any breed, you can use any breed or color of rooster as long as he is NOT barred, Not Dominant White, and Not Recessive White masking barring.

8. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    the first pic is a roo and the second pic is a hen but i dont know on the last two the black orpington is a hen

9. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:If the barred ones are from the barred rock hens with the lav roo, then all of them are roos. They are dark like barred hens because they only got one copy of barring and are heterozygous barred.

10. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:If the barred ones are from the barred rock hens with the lav roo, then all of them are roos. They are dark like barred hens because they only got one copy of barring and are heterozygous barred.

agreed. all boys. Too bad you didn't get at least one girl! Sounds like my kind of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by