Gender of 4 wk old Bantam Chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by firefalldown27, May 14, 2009.

1. firefalldown27

firefalldown27 New Egg

May 14, 2009
    Hi,
    I have recently acquired 4 assorted straight run bantam chicks and I would appreciate help guessing their gender, haha. And if any of you have guesses on what type of bantam they are, that would also be cool!

Chick #1 and #2 appear to be the same variety.
    #1, Intrepid, is large and very tame. (brown)
    [​IMG]
    #2, Renegade, is small and shy. (brown)
    [​IMG]
    #3, Griffin, is small and very tame. (white)
    [​IMG]
    #4, Falcon is larger and shy. (gray)
    [​IMG]

#1, I am pretty sure is a roo. He is the biggest chick and has the largest comb out of all of them. The rest all have small pale combs. His is at least twice the size. Also, he isn't scared of me and likes to pick fights with the others. None of the others seem aggressive.

If I had to guess, I would say that he is the only roo, and the rest are hens. HOWEVER I checked out their legs, and all of them have little bumps on their legs, where the spurs would be. I really hope this doesn't mean they're all roos...
    Thanks for the help!

2. firefalldown27

firefalldown27 New Egg

May 14, 2009
    Actually, I just realized that they look older than 4 weeks... hmmm. The girl I got them from told me they were 3-4 weeks.

3. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Wish i could help you Im trying to figure out my 4 weeks old chicks also I cant stand not knowing Hope some one comes along to help [​IMG]

4. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I don't know, it's kind of hard to tell as they are still young and the first photo is a little blurry in the comb area...but is the comb as big as it appears? Is it red at all? I have 4 week old banties and have some with big red combs already [​IMG]

5. firefalldown27

firefalldown27 New Egg

May 14, 2009
    Yeah, I would say all of them have the same color comb right now, kind of pale.
    And I know it's a little blurry, sorry. I only have a camera phone.
    I think the blur makes it look a little bigger, but his comb is at least twice the size of the others'.

6. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:No problem it just looked huge but thought is was because of the blur [​IMG] I would say all pullets then because as I said, I have 4 week olds that already have red combs.

7. firefalldown27

firefalldown27 New Egg

May 14, 2009
    That would be awesome... I don't mind having even 2 roos and 2 hens (I have buff orp hens too), but all roos would be really bad.

8. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Lol well I have two banty roos (a Japanese and a Silver Laced Sebright) I need to rehome....wish you lived close [​IMG]

9. firefalldown27

firefalldown27 New Egg

May 14, 2009
    Ooh and I like those too! Sad... I'm going to have to find someone around here I can swap birds with.

10. firefalldown27

firefalldown27 New Egg

May 14, 2009
    Ok I got a better pic of Intrepid, the one I suspect is a roo.
    [​IMG]
    I took another look and while not very dark, his comb is darker than the other 3.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by