Gender of 6 week old Wyandottes?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Wafflekinz, May 2, 2018.

1. Wafflekinz

Wafflekinz In the Brooder

May 2, 2018
    My husband and I recently got our first chickens together! I had a rooster as a child and have worked on a farm caring for chickens (including chicks) in the past. However, I've never had to sex them before! My husband grew up in the city and had never seen a chicken up close.

We wanted to buy sorted pullets, but someone at the feed store had "accidentally" mixed all the pullets in with straight run. We have two GLW's and two SLW's. The store employee was unsure how old they were, and I estimated between 1 and 2 weeks at time of purchase. That would make them about 6 weeks now.

I know it's tough to sex at this age, but I'm really afraid we might have all roos. I've gotten quite attached to them all and my husband has said absolutely no to keeping any roos. He's not willing to be woken up by crowing.

The first 3 photos are McFly, next 2 are Reggie (short for Reginald P. Funnybottom), next 3 are Nugget, and the last 3 are Rose. Sorry the photos aren't better! They weren't a fan of the camera.

Thank you for any and all help! And please feel free to give age estimates, as well as gender!
    McFly 2.jpg McFly 1.jpg McFly 3.jpg Reggie 1.jpg Reggie 2.jpg Nugget 2.jpg Nugget 1.jpg Nugget Tail.jpg Rose 1.jpg Rose 2.jpg Rose 4.jpg

2. JedJackson

JedJackson Crossing the Road

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    Unfortunately, they look like cockerels. Reggie is the only one I see that could possibly be a pullet.

3. Akrnaf2

Akrnaf2 The educated Rhino

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    Cockerles.

4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    All cockerels.

5. JedJackson

JedJackson Crossing the Road

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    Gosh darn, I feel bad about this. It sounds like the feed store you bought them from just didn't have their act together. Perhaps they will allow you to exchange for pullets? It's definitely worth asking.

6. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! And Nuts For Horses!

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    Pic 4 looks like your only possible pullet.
    This is just too bad. I'm feeling for you.....:(

7. Crazyacreschickens

Crazyacreschickens In the Brooder

Apr 8, 2018
    Yikes, there is a lot of red coming thru on those Combs and waddles...one may be a pullet? I have 3, 5week old Black Laced Red Wyandotte chicks...and I got one who is turning pretty darn red too...so I think Miss Peeps, is now Pablo Chickone!!

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: