Gender of Barred Rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickortreat, Sep 8, 2009.

1. chickortreat

chickortreat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    A friend of ours hatched us off 10 chicks back in April. Nine were RIR's and one was a Barred Rock. They were hatched at the same time. We were able to tell at about three weeks which RIR's were hens and which were roosters, but now, at twenty weeks, we still can't be sure about the BR. Half the folks who see it call it a hen, and half call it a rooster. From six weeks and on, its comb and wattles were ahead of the RIR hens, but behind the RIR roosters. It has a couple of long tail feathers, but not near as many or as long as the RIR roosters. The RIR's started crowing about three weeks ago, and I haven't heard the BR even try to crow. Two or three folks have told me that they have heard of Barred Rocks turning out to be hermaphrodites. Has anyone else heard of this? Has any one else had a BR with which it was difficult to identify the gender? Thanks for any info...

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Pictures will tell you right away if they are that old. Roos tend to have more white (Lighter in color) and the hens are darker and will usually get tail feathers long before the roos will. Some say the roos have a larger white spot on the head and hens have a more defined spot but smaller. BUT if you get a pic on here we can tell you for sure. BR hens do get a larger comb. Mine is always called a roo too and she is a hen for sure...seen her lay an egg [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Post a pic and you'll know in a few minutes. Males have wider white bars so look much lighter than hens, with very few exceptions. By about 10 weeks, there would be pointy, shiny saddle feathers coming in on the back.

4. chickortreat

May 26, 2009
    How do you post pictures on here?

5. chickortreat

May 26, 2009
    I'm not sure if this'll work, but here's a picture...

[​IMG]

6. chickortreat

May 26, 2009
    [​IMG]C:\\Users\\SCOTT\\Pictures\\2009-09-08 Chickens\\Chickens 002.JPG

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  7. chickortreat

May 26, 2009
    Okay, I'm not doing something right. HELP!!!

8. chickortreat

May 26, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Go to the Index in the blue bar above, and look at F.A.Q. It has a really good guide for the easy way.

10. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    My suggestion is to use a photo hosting site such as Photobucket (http://www.photobucket.com) to upload your pictures to, then copy the IMG code here in your posts. Others use this site as a host, but the pictures are often small and I have trouble seeing them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by