Gender of Barred Rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tharrell, Jul 28, 2008.

1. tharrell

tharrell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I have a barred rock that is almost 5 weeks old and I don't know if it is a boy or girl. These are my first ever chickens and they were both supposed to be girls. I am not alowed to keep roosters within city limits so I am hoping someone can help me out. I hope the pictures are ok, s/he just wouldn't hold still! Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  2. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    It is still a little too soon to know for sure. It looks alot like my pullet did at that age. It seems to me that the barred rocks get a slight comb early then stop growing it for awhile if they are girls. If see red yet or any wattles start to grow prominantly it may just be a roo. Give it another month or two to know for sure.

Sorry I was not more help.

3. suburban farm girl

suburban farm girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Is it just me? I am not able to see your pix.[​IMG]

4. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    I can see the pics fine... [​IMG] and I would say it's a hen!

5. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    ...and this is a 70-30 guess, but I'd say its a roo. The wattles show up pretty good in the second pic. The comb is looking like a roo, too. I have 10 br hens, and 4 roos. The hens are great, the roos are trouble. Sorry...

6. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    The darker feather make it seem to be a hen. My BR's are only 2 weeks old, so I can't say much. [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You may have to wait on this one because it has conflictin signals. The coloring is not as light as most cockerels, but the comb and wattles are as large as my 12 week old pullets' usually are. Here is a brother and sister at six weeks old.
    [​IMG]

8. tharrell

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I really hope he isn't a rooster because I would have to get rid of him, and I have grown pretty close to him. Who would ever think you could become attatched to a chicken!?

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Maybe it's just a pullet with a larger than normal comb for her age. I know what you mean about getting attached to a chicken.

10. tharrell

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Bump

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by