Gender of chicks, possible rooster?

tartarsammich

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
I got 6 red pullets from TSC 3 weeks ago and one died. I got a replacement for it five days after so it is the youngest of the six. I have pics of two of them, the golden one is the youngest.

Last edited:

BantamLover21

Crowing
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
The golden one doesn't look like a sex-link, so it is still young to tell its gender. I'm leaning toward cockerel, though, based on leg thickness and size of comb. The red birds look like red sex-links, so they're pullets.

tartarsammich

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
The golden one doesn't look like a sex-link, so it is still young to tell its gender. I'm leaning toward cockerel, though, based on leg thickness and size of comb. The red birds look like red sex-links, so they're pullets.
The golden one also hates being picked up the most. None of them like it, but the gold one freaks out the most. Also tends to stay isolated from the rest.

chooks4life

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Australia
The golden one also hates being picked up the most. None of them like it, but the gold one freaks out the most. Also tends to stay isolated from the rest.
That can just be due to breed, character or handling influences. Gender is about the last thing I'd put it down to at that age. Staying isolated is normal, because it doesn't belong to that clutch. Birds of a feather usually do flock together.

Top Bottom