gender of chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicky Chick, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Chicky Chick

Chicky Chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    I know that a pullet is a female chick but I have herd that you can't tell the gender of a young chick so how would you know if it was a female chick of not?[​IMG]

2. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

A pullet is generally a hen younger than 1 year old. You can buy sexed chicks that have been vent sexed by trained professionals.

3. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    This might not help now, but you actually can tell the gender of day old chicks. Look at the wing feathers, if there are several rows, then it is a girl, if they are the same size, then it is a boy. This is because the feathers of a girl chick grows faster. Although, this will only work with in a few days of hatching. A lot of hatcheries use this way rather then vent sexing because it is easier and safer. This method is only 90% right though...

4. Gatordog

Gatordog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    What do you mean about several rows and same size?

I just bought 8 Pullets Reds from TSC on friday, and 2 are darker with redish small wing feathers and the other 6 wing feathers are white and larger feather size. So does that means I have 6 Roos and 2 hens. Or 6 hens and 2 roos?

The last time I bought what was suppose to be 6 Hens, I had 3 Roos and 3 Hens. The hawks got all but Big Betty the Rooster, so I am starting over again. Will Big Betty hurt the peeps?

5. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Watch this video it should tell you better than I can:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by