Gender of EE's.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MinnerBuckwheat, Jun 11, 2011.

1. MinnerBuckwheat

MinnerBuckwheat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    West Michigan
    Well I don't know if I got all 6 of them in these pics. I let them free range during the day, and they are not very tame. Now that someone pointed out that one of them is a boy, I am wondering if I have more roos [​IMG] I bought them all as pullets, and as Ameraucanas [​IMG][​IMG]
    I am glad I have ONE rooster, but I don't want more than that, and I had NO idea coloring was indicative of gender in EEs. I still don't know exactly what that means though, so if someone wants to explain it to me, I would appreciate it. I hate being ignorant.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  2. MinnerBuckwheat

Apr 23, 2011
    West Michigan
    I've got a d'uccle or 2 in there, they always hang together!!

3. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    What I can see looks like girls to me... cept that D'uccle rooster sticking his beak in there and refusing to stay out of the shot XD But that wasn't the question :>

4. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Please take close up photos of each bird's comb so we can help ascertain gender. Based on feather pattern alone, it looks like there may be a cockerel (or two?) in the group, but seeing the combs will be most helpful.

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    left side first pic is probably the cockeral(that was the one you mentioned). certain color/patterns are only in cockerals...the rest look like pullets...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:the "d'uccle" looks clean legged...if so probably a d'anver

7. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Quote:the "d'uccle" looks clean legged...if so probably a d'anver

I thought that too but tossed it up to pictures sometimes not showing them well. Especially with young ones. One of mine looked almost clean legged a month ago when really they just have a few that got torn and battered while foraging. Now they look as floofy as ever. But the fact you saw it too makes me think wasn't just a cam trick XD

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have d'anvers just because the feather legged birds just get so dirty....so they kind of stick out to me [​IMG]

9. MinnerBuckwheat

Apr 23, 2011
    West Michigan
    That's odd, I didn't even notice that. They have had feathered legs since they hatched. I wonder why that one would look clean legged now? They are d'uccles.

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    you could have a picker...some of my ameraucana look clean faced, but had huge beards before...i think my hatchery layer is the culprit [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by