Gender of Mixed Breed Chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hikingdad, Oct 21, 2015.

1. hikingdad

hikingdad Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2014
    Wisconsin
    My broody hen hatched 7 chicks recently. They are about 9 weeks old. I originally thought there were 3 roos and 4 pullets because their combs and waddles came in a lot faster and are already a reddish color. Now I am not sure about 2 of the "pullets". 3 weeks ago there was a clear difference in comb size and color. Now they are starting to get either a rose or pea comb. The father to all of these chickens is a leghorn. The mom is either a buff orpington, new hampshire red, brahma, silver laced wyondotte, or easter egger. At least 3 of them came from a green egg so have to be an easter egger mix. The first pic is from the beginning of October when you can see a clear difference between the leghorn/brahma mix and the others that I thought were pullets. The next 2 pics are of the definite leghorn/brahma roo now. The last 6 pics are of the"pullets" in question.
    [​IMG]
    Far right is the definite leghorn/brahma roo 3 weeks ago. The other 3 I thought were pullets.
    [​IMG]
    Leghorn/brahma roo
    [​IMG]
    Leghorn/brahma roo
    [​IMG]
    Pullet #1 I still think this is a hen
    [​IMG]
    Pullet #1 I still think is a hen
    [​IMG]
    Unknown #2 No waddle and the comb just started looking this big. Pink in color
    [​IMG]
    Unknown #2 No waddle and the comb just started looking this big. Pink in color
    [​IMG]
    Unknown #3 Pink comb recently and waddles starting to form.
    [​IMG]
    Unknown #3 Pink comb recently and waddles starting to form.

Any thoughts? I think I may have more roos than I originally thought. I'm not sure if their combs are becoming more pronounced because their dad is a leghorn.

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Pullet # 1 looks like the only female pictured. Unknown #2 and #3 look like cockerels. Number 2 seems to have some cheek fluff, which would explain the tiny wattles (the 2 traits are generally linked).

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    x2

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x3

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed