Gender of my 2 EEs? 6.5 weeks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dancingmama, Jun 30, 2010.

1. dancingmama

dancingmama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    Ann Arbor, MI
    The white one is Flutter, and the brown one is Cassie. Any guesses?

Flutter:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cassie:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Suburban Sprouts

Suburban Sprouts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Flutter doesn't look like an EE to me... yellow legs and single comb?? That would be rather odd for an EE.

Cassie is an EE PULLET. Congrats!

3. beth59

beth59 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2009
    Pensacola, Fl
    Look like girlies to me.

4. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:I agree. I also don't see a beard or muffs on Flutter. She is a pretty girl though.

I do have an EE roo with a single comb, but he has green legs and nice beard/muffs and I have 3 EEs with yellow legs but they have have pea combs and also have muffs.

5. Namble

Namble Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    North Florida
    Flutter looks more like a Delaware. I guess both female.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Flutter looks very much like a hatchery Delaware pullet. Cassie is a pullet.

7. dancingmama

Jan 17, 2010
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Oh wow... a Delaware?! Just looked it up -- she does look like that! But it looks like baby Delaware chicks are yellow? Is that true? And Flutter was white with black....
    Here's a baby pix (the white one on the left):

[​IMG]

8. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    A lot of hatchery EE birds come out missing some of the EE characteristics. One of my faves has no beard/muffs, but has green legs and a pea comb. I've seen several that other folks have w/o the pea comb, and some of those still lay colored eggs, though not usually.

It's a toss-up, because the genes are so mixed you can end up with just about anything. I do think they both look like girlies, though I would not expect colored eggs from the white one. Her coloring will likely become a little more defined as she ages, though, and it's very pretty- almost a penciled columbian!

9. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Flutter looks EXACTLY like my baby delawares that are about 6 weeks.
    Is there another in your batch that may be the other EE?

10. dancingmama

Jan 17, 2010
    Ann Arbor, MI
    We hand-picked various babies from a local farm... I was just going by what the woman told me. We chose 1 barred rock, 2 EEs (we thought!), 1 black australorp and 1 buff orp. We can only keep 3 [​IMG] in our urban lot with a small tractor, but got 5 in case of roosters.

Flutter, however, is by far my most, um, challenging chick [​IMG]. She's so funny, but HATES to be handled and flaps and runs like crazy when I try! She might not be the easiest keeper for us. I hate to get rid of any of them -- I had no idea how bonded I would get!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by