Gender of my 2 EE's....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chrizjen, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Chrizjen

Chrizjen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    St. Louis
    They are almost 8 weeks old. I only received one response the other day.... wasn't sure if anyone had any other thoughts....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chicken Bee

Chicken Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Long Island
    Both are looking like roos to me.

Edit: After looking more closely, I might have to agree with the post below me. #2 does look rather hen-like.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  3. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I think first is a roo and second is a pullet. Just a guess of course.

4. Chrizjen

Jun 19, 2010
    St. Louis
    well, if the first is a roo... that will be the second one I will have to rehome. Had the first of the batch crowing at 5 weeks old.... it was the same color as the second one here but the feathers were a lot different....

5. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    that 1st EE has barred rock genes on her, and usually on barred rocks the pullets are the ones that get a black coloring on the legs not the roos, so cuz of that Im saying the 1st one is a pullet.

6. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    I think 1 is a roo and 2 is a pullet

7. lbcoats

lbcoats New Egg

Jun 28, 2010
    I am not really familiar w/EE's but they both look like pullets to me due to the very short comb, a roo's would likely start farther back on the crown of the head. My RIR & Americana both had defined combs at 6-8 wks. Starting higher up on the head a little above the eyes. At least you have a 50/50 chance of being right!

8. brownlikewoah

brownlikewoah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    seattle
    really hard to tell for me... I'd say the first is a boy, and the second is a girl.

9. Chrizjen

Jun 19, 2010
    St. Louis
    Quote:I have heard that and I guess it is that little bit of hope that I am hanging on lol......

10. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    My guess is roo on the first and pullet on the second. I own both BR and EEs and neither have that big of a comb and they're pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by