Gender of my "babies"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TESouthern, Jul 25, 2014.

1. TESouthern

TESouthern Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    Brock, Tx
    I am guessing they are around 7 ish weeks? (I was guessing around 3-4 weeks when we got them...we've had them 3-4 weeks) but I am new to this chicken thing soooooo It's just a semi educated guess

of the 7 babies I am fairly certain 5 are pullets there are two that I'm not sure about....at what age do they start showing "roosterish" behavior?

These are the 2 that I am most unsure of

This is Elsa....one of our easter eggers....he/she is about the same size as most of the others....but a much bigger personality. Has always been more dominant but this morning he/she was jumping on the back of one of my wyandottes and chasing her around....etc....dunno if that means anything or if she is just moody?

[​IMG]

This one is Anna.....he/she is our olive egger....started out the same size as the rest is not quite a bit bigger than the others. He/She has less of a dominant streak than Elsa but still is more dominant in behavior than the others. These two also get into spats flapping their wings and pecking at each other sometimes.

[​IMG]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These ones I am fairly certain are pullets

This is Sky our other easter egger
    [​IMG]

This is Fuzzy one of our Black Sex linked (sooooo she SHOULD be a girl)

[​IMG]

and Glamour...one of our wyandottes (bad pic :D but she wouldn't cooperate)
    [​IMG]

We have another black sex link and another wyandotte but I didn't get pics of them

SOOOO what do you think?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I would say:

Elsa is a roo
    Anna is..........??? not sure enough to say on that one on that picture alone.
    Sky - pullet
    Fuzzy - pullet
    Glamour.......is that Glamour's head behind Anna? If so, can you get a shot like that of just Glamour - the comb looks pink in that shot and isn't all that visible in her feature photo

3. TESouthern

Jul 8, 2014
    Brock, Tx
    I have had a gut feeling about Elsa being a Roo for awhile.... :-/ bad news....he/she is my daughters favorite lol I wasn't really concerned about Anna until she started sparring with Elsa....none of the others tend to do that soooo I started wondering.

That looks like our other Wyandotte (Dot) in the pic with Anna but I will take some better pics of her and Anna in a little bit and try to get some pics of the other two ....They don't like to cooperate with me haha it's easier when i have a child or someone to help wrangle them while I take pics lol

thanks for the opinions :D

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Elsa's a cockerel
    Anna...I'm leaning toward pullet, but with that straight comb your chance of Olive eggs is pretty low, sorry
    Sky I'm ambivalent about. That patchy coloring is usually a rooster hallmark, but there's not much comb from what I can see
    The others look like pullets.

5. TESouthern

Jul 8, 2014
    Brock, Tx
    Well if we don't get olive eggs I don't care....lol....my kids picked her because she had cute little feathers down the side of her legs I was told she was an olive egger and that is the extent of my knowledge on that lol....I don't think they will be too disappointed over the color of the eggs. Elsa being a cockerel is going to be the biggest disappointment (and honestly they need to stop naming things Elsa because Elsa the duck also turned out to be a male lol)

[​IMG]
    Here is profile of sky from a couple weeks ago

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    To me, only Elsa looks like a cockerel.

1 person likes this.
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It will be interesting to see how Sky matures. Maybe post pics again in a month or so?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by