1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender of My White Easter Egger?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenlver2013, Mar 9, 2014.

1. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

It hatched the 9th of February.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It looks male to me, but it's early days yet. It doesn't look Easter egger, though....

3. chickenlver2013

It's a chick of my own that I hatched. It's father is an Easter Egger and it's mother is a Red Sex-Link

4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Agreed, looks male. Also if it's EE then it's pretty far away from it's blue-egger heritage.

5. chickenlver2013

Dang, I was really hoping for a White Easter Egger hen! :( but I'm not giving up hope. I've had pullets grow red combs at that age. If it does turn out to be a girl, will it be an Olive Egger?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  6. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    If it was a hen, I highly doubt it would lay colored eggs - no beard, no muff, yellow legs tell me it's pretty far out from blue-egger heritage. Even if it did lay colored eggs they definitely wouldn't be olive - my sex links laid brown eggs, sure, but not dark enough to go olive over a blue shell.

There's only a few crosses I would really say produce what most would call "olive egger" - Ameraucana or Araucana over Marans, Barnevelders, Welsummer, Penedesenca are the front runners. There are EE over those breeds as well but I would never sell them as olive eggers because frankly, you almost never know how many copies of the blue egg gene those EE's have and what their offspring will get from crossing.

Though, that being said, if your strain of RSL lays eggs of a much darker hue than normal it's possible. Right now I've got some EExWyandotte crosses that definitely qualify as olive eggers - I never saw the Wyandotte stock they came from but their egg color must have been superb as I'm getting some seriously dark olive eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by