1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender of RIR and Aus chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BroosterSpringsteen, Jul 16, 2011.

1. BroosterSpringsteen

BroosterSpringsteen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    I know it's very early, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on my 3 week old chicks?
    This is Clementine, our RIR. I've heard the stripe on his/her head can be an indication that she/he's a hen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And this is Bolt. The egg was mislabeled RIR, but the breeder thinks it's an Australorp. We think he/she was trying to crow at 4 days, and that continued for about 4 days, then mysteriously stopped? He/she sure is fiesty.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So any thoughts? And could you give reasons? I'm new to this.
    [​IMG]

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Your RIR looks like a boy based on the comb, and your austalorp looks like a girl, but the posture says rooster, so I don't know. It will be easier to tell when they get older. [​IMG]

3. CMTSMWC

CMTSMWC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    Definitely post some more pictures when they get a little older. [​IMG]

4. BroosterSpringsteen

BroosterSpringsteen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    Yeah, I know it's too early. I'm just so curious! [​IMG]
    The RIR has the comb, but the Aussie definitely has the strut. I really hope the RIR is a pullet, because everything the black one does screams roo.

5. eightball1011

eightball1011 New Egg

Jun 13, 2011
    Great looking chicks! That astrolorp looks just like my BA Rooster did when he was a baby!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by