Gender of this Pigeon?

fatimastic

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
Pakistan
My supposedly fantail hen just air humped my shoulder while my supposedly rooster was on my lap.

I got them back at the end of June 2021 and even after all this time I still am confused about their genders. I've only seen the hen preen the rooster for a few days after I got them. After that they started hating each other and fight all the time. So much so that they don't eat from the same bowl together. I have to separate them. They even sleep in different places and the roo bullies the hen a lot.

When I first got my hen, she had next to none feather on the butt and head. I feel like she was always bullied because the roo pecks her behind a lot.

The thing I'm confused about is that their body shape is completely different. The roo is taller and stands more upright.

Can pigeons show opposite sex behaviors?
The roo is the first picture. And the hen is 2nd.

Attachments

• 20211023_090909.jpg
    20211023_090909.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 25
  • 20211023_090935.jpg
    20211023_090935.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 7
I suspect you have 2 males. I also see that the pigeons are not same breed.
The second pix pigeon looks to me like a Pouter.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I suspect you have 2 males. I also see that the pigeons are not same breed.
The second pix pigeon looks to me like a Pouter.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
Thank you for the reply!!

That picture makes the 2nd pigeon look like a Pouter. Let me send a better picture.

Attachments

• 20210813_183337.jpg
    20210813_183337.jpg
    709.7 KB · Views: 7
Great pix. :thumbsup Yes a fantail, but can be mixed with other pigeon breed. Not of a concern, since you just want pretty pigeon pets.
I still think you may have 2 males by your description of behavior:idunno

In the past,, I have had 2 males coexist in harmony. They were from the same hatch,,, and there were no extra females around ,,, so they paired up as same sex partners.
These were homing pigeons, so what happened was somewhat confusing.
I let them out when I wanted to train them to return back into loft. The flew out and split on me in a direct outward flight,, and never returned. :gig(see spoiler):gig I suspect that they knew there were no females available for them,,, and they may have felt intimidation from the Senior Male Pigeon in the loft. Went looking for greener pastures,, or mates??? Greener pastures;; is a term we use around here for a better place to live.
bat1.PNG

Back
Top Bottom