Gender of this six week chick?

I agree...there is nothing screaming rooster there.

Being calm is not a sign of rooster...usually roosters are more boisterous, not calmer, as chicks, as a generalization. (I've had snotty pullets too).

A better indicator is the comb color and size. Boys overall get redder larger combs much sooner than the girls, and I find that the best indicator especially with mixes.

I'd definitely wait it out.

LofMc

Last edited:

Roo or not? 13 weeks old orphington

@Soot the silkie I'm gonna vote pullet too. Pale face, yellow comb, even, smooth feathering, well blended in color and upright defined tail.
smile.png

edit punctuation

Last edited:

Roo or not? 13 weeks old orphington

I think pullet...it would help to see the profile to be sure there are no saddle feathers developing yet....Orpingtons can be tricky....but it looks to be pullet to me in that pic.

I'd post a new thread on What Breed or Gender so you don't get lost in the shuffle of this one.

LofMc

I agree...there is nothing screaming rooster there.

Being calm is not a sign of rooster...usually roosters are more boisterous, not calmer, as chicks, as a generalization. (I've had snotty pullets too).

A better indicator is the comb color and size. Boys overall get redder larger combs much sooner than the girls, and I find that the best indicator especially with mixes.

I'd definitely wait it out.

LofMc

I mean he is calm when I pick him up, but he is boisterous with the other chicks.

Back
Top Bottom