Gender of three Dominiques?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dominiquedummy, Mar 28, 2012.

1. dominiquedummy

dominiquedummy New Egg

Mar 28, 2012
    I am brand new to chicken keeping. I have these three birds that were born on January 29th (I incubated and hatched 7, kept these three hoping that they were all hens). Now they are 8 weeks old. I think that they are Dominiques. I am wanting to keep three hens strictly for laying and am not able to keep any roosters where I live. Within the last couple of weeks, two of the three have periodically been screeching (not a full-blown crow)and those two are developing combs and wattles and one isn't. Can anyone give me a solid answer on their gender? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!! If two are roosters, then I need to get rid of them before my neighbors kill me! :eek:) If you have questions about them to help you determine their gender, just let me know. Thanks, in advance, for any help anyone can provide!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. bigchiefhoho

bigchiefhoho Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    I'm no expert on Dominiques, but the last two both look like roos to me. The first one I *think* is a pullet.

3. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    x2 (but again, FAR from sexing expert!!)

4. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Their coloring says pullets, males are almost always lighter, almost grey/white. If I counted right, they are about 3 months old? You should be able to see pointed hackle(neck) and saddle(back) feathers if they are roosters.
    Look like this, I think he is about 4 months old in this picture

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Hens would be laying with that much wattle development. #2 and #3 are most certainly roos, and I would keep a close eye on #1 as well as a pullet's comb shouldn't be that red at 8-9 weeks.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    x2

7. cupofJoelene

cupofJoelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2015
    If #2 and #3 are roos, they are some dark Dom roosters!

8. magdelaine

magdelaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Inyokern, CA
    :)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by