1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender of three week old ameraucanas?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by peopleRanimals2, Apr 30, 2016.

1. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    I know that you probably won't be able to tell, but I was wondering about these 3- we are not allowed to keep Roos in RI. :( PS sorry for the photography.

Fern:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bea:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tiger:
    [​IMG]

Please tell me if this is doable, and if I need better photos. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    It is to young to sex accurately, I don't see any signs of it being a cockerel yet. I would post again when they are 5 weeks or older, also when you do can you get a good pictures of the comb also.

3. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal Premium Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    They all look like pullets to me, but I might be wrong. If you can get a picture of each of their combs then we can be more sure. 1 row of peas means it is a pullet. 3 rows of peas means a cockerel. Also your chicks are gorgeous!
    Good luck :),
    henny1129

4. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Their combs are just starting to come in, and I will definetly post more later. Pictures of their combs to come.

5. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It turns out to be very hard to take a specific picture of a chick! She looks to have a single comb.
    I will post pictures of the others after I have some treats :)

6. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    The 3 row=cockerel and 1 row= pullet isn't always accurate. It is most of the time but PLEASE don't just look at a small 3 row comb that isn't pink or red or plump when they are older and assume that its a cockerel.

7. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    I definetly won't just be giving them away based on their combs. Thank you, and since my other girls are not as photogenic as Tiger, I think that I will just have to judge myself, in order to not stress them out too much. Thanks for all of your input, and I will post more pictures around 5 weeks. :D

8. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Thanks for waiting! Hope someone sees this. 7 wks, and outside. This is my 1st time with chickens, so I really can't tell if they are boy or girl. Thanks for all your help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    The combs don't looks big/red, could you get a full body picture? I think you probably have pullets.

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Very girly combs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by