Gender of turkey

Alex Broussard

Chirping
Jul 9, 2017
IMG_1178.PNG
IMG_1179.PNG
IMG_1180.PNG
IMG_1181.PNG
This is all the same turkey. It's about 6 months old max!! It doesn't have a long snood but it was puffing up its feathers. This is the first time I raise turkeys. Is it a tom?

View attachment 1143220 View attachment 1143221 View attachment 1143222 View attachment 1143223 This is all the same turkey. It's about 6 months old max!! It doesn't have a long snood but it was puffing up its feathers. This is the first time I raise turkeys. Is it a tom?
I cannot tell because of the quality of the pictures. If it is a hen the breast feathers will have a light colored lower edge. If it is a tom the breast feathers will have a dark colored lower edge.

Both toms and hens can strut. Both toms and hens can have a beard. The beard on a hen is not as thick as a tom's beard and most hens do not have beards.

Reposting the same pictures does not change the fact that they are not good enough to tell the sex of that turkey. Post a good shot that is closer of the front of the turkey so the breast feathers can be seen well enough to determine whether or not the lower edges are light colored (hen) or dark colored (tom). Post a close up shot of the top of the head so it can be determined whether or not there is a "mohawk" (hen) or bald (tom).

Reposting the same pictures does not change the fact that they are not good enough to tell the sex of that turkey. Post a good shot that is closer of the front of the turkey so the breast feathers can be seen well enough to determine whether or not the lower edges are light colored (hen) or dark colored (tom). Post a close up shot of the top of the head so it can be determined whether or not there is a "mohawk" (hen) or bald (tom).
I'm sorry I didn't realize I posted the same ones!! I'm new to this app and I think I posted some more please let me know thank you so much!!

I'm sorry I didn't realize I posted the same ones!! I'm new to this app and I think I posted some more please let me know thank you so much!!
I am going to say it is a late developing tom. It has a bald head and the breast feathers are a mix of dark colored lower edges and light colored lower edges which would indicate that not all of the breast feathers are the mature feathers. In bronze turkeys, the immature breast feathers of both the toms and hens have a light colored lower edge.

It is interesting that the snood is not yet showing the development that I would normally expect from a tom turkey of that age which is why I suspect a late developing tom.

Back
Top Bottom