Gender on Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, & Ameraucana or EE

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FL-chick, Nov 16, 2013.

1. FL-chick

FL-chick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2013
    Florida
    My chicks are ~3.5 weeks old. I'm really hoping that they are all hens. The Buff Orpington is the nicest... She'll easily let me pick her up. The Barred Rock is a little more hesitant. The Ameraucana (as it was sold... Could be an EE) is very leary of me. I have to chase her to pick her up and then she screams like I'm killing her.... I wouldn't be too disappointed if she was a he and then I could replace her with something more docile. She's also very flighty.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  2. reckless

reckless Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    michigan
    My Coop
    Barred rock is a pullet with that coloring.

My first barred rock was a cockerel- and he had light gray feathers, rather than black, and a lot more white ;)
    Just for future reference!
    [​IMG]

I don't know much about sexing BOs and EEs, I'm better at sexing those when they're older.
    None are saying cockerel to me but they are quite young.
    Someone else may be able to help more, or you may have to wait until they're a bit older.

3. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    My guess for all three is pullet! Like reckless said, they are a little young, but for now, I say they are pullets. :)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  4. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    So far, I agree, looks like three pullets.

5. X2 It may be a bit young to tell, but there is no reason I would think they were roosters, and they look like pullets.

6. FL-chick

FL-chick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2013
    Florida
    I love this forum. Thanks so much everyone!

7. reckless

reckless Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    michigan
    My Coop
    I do too, FL-chick!!
    You're welcome! [​IMG]

8. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I agree with the others all look to be pullets now..

The Barred as it is darker, the EE as it is partridge, and there is nothing in the BO which indicates roo yet...other than be prepared that roos are often the friendliest as chicks.

A barred roo will be much lighter in color as it has the double barring gene (usually) and will get a nice red comb showing early...often by 6 weeks.

A BO pullet will keep a very small and yellow comb until almost maturity while a male will begin to get a red comb much earlier (by 6 weeks you can often see a big difference between the roo and pullet in comb size). Don't panic if your BO gets some pointy hackles at the neck as I have had my females get those too...but that comb will be small and yellow until she's almost grown (about 12 to 16 weeks).

As to your EE...there is a great EE sexing thread here on BYC. Check that out and you will see that if your EE stays with very even partridge patterning then it will be a pullet.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/463817/easter-egger-sexing-tips-and-tricks-pictures-included

Good luck with your new brood and welcome to BYC.

Lady of McCamley

(Check my photo albums on my signature line and you can see the growth of a barred roo and EE females)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by