Gender on Orp chicks- New pics added

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Buster, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Ok- the Welsummer chick with the big comb is obviously a roo and so is one of the buffs- they are about 10 weeks old. The other buff I'm leaning towards roo as well. The blacks are all about 9 weeks old except for the smallest one and the barred one- those are about 7 or 8 weeks old. I am leaning towards pullets for everything except the buffs and welsummer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whatcha think?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

In the second picture, the black on the roost bar on the left is a cockerel, I think. You already know about the Buff and the Welsummer. The BR, I cant tell yet. I'd need a body shot in natural daylight, but the comb is a bit too large at that age for a pullet. Still, it could be a pullet with an extra large comb, but I dont think so. I'll still have to see a different pic of that one.

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I think you may be right about the black in the second pic. I would have gotten individual pics but my battery was dying and I needed to get them shot fast.

As far as the "BR" goes- you'll laugh. That's actually a cross between Diesel and a white orp hen. The other chick I hatched from them is the smallest black. I don't know where the barred gene came from or what to do with it but there it is. I was kind of hoping that it was a pullet but looking again it may be a cockerel. Maybe I can get some more to hatch that are pullets and barred but I'm still not sure they work for my project.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I agree with Cyn on the black on the roost..looks rooish, even from a distance. Both buffs look like boys. I would need better pics of the blacks to pic any others out, but you have at least one roo in there. Very cute chicks!

Jody

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Thanks. I will try to get some individual pics later when DW comes home. I found some new batteries for my camera.

The Welsummer cockerel came from eggs from gamebirdsonly. The two buffs came from my own eggs. Most of the blacks came from Julie (BamaChicken's) eggs, and the two smallest are Diesel/ white orp crosses.

Great news! Diesel's two SS girls started laying again! [​IMG]

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    [​IMG] That is great news! Hopefully little Diesel babies too. [​IMG] Good luck!

7. speckledhen

Oh, I remember that one! So funny how it looks like a BR! Cant wait to see how that one matures. Could be a cockerel, though.

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

8 week old barred chick:

[​IMG]

Welsummer- COCKEREL

[​IMG]

Buff- COCKEREL

[​IMG]

Buff- Cockerel? (10 weeks)

[​IMG]

Black Orp- ??? (9 weeks)

[​IMG]

Black Orp- ??? (8 weeks)

[​IMG]

Black Orp- ??? (10 weeks)

[​IMG]

Black (or dark blue) orp- Cockerel?- (10 weeks)

[​IMG]

9. speckledhen

Barred chick is a cockerel as is the last blue one. Cant tell yet on the black ones. The last Buff is a boy and the one with white flight feathers is probably a boy, too. On occasion, my black one will have a white feather or two. They molt out, or, at least, they always have. I got them on my black Ameraucanas alot.

10. Buster

Buster Back to Work

You've confirmed some of my suspicions. [​IMG] Thanks Cyn!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by