Gender on Polish Chickens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by becky3086, Dec 4, 2008.

1. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Is there any way to tell?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are two more, I just don't have their pics. Oh and the second pic and third pic have the same chick in them.

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    IMO, too early to tell. Though they do look like the hen I hatched out earlier this year, poof wise.

3. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    How do you tell when they get older? I haven't had these before.

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    From my little bit of experience, I'm guessing the first one is a male. My silver-laced and buff-laced chicks were purchased at 4 weeks from the feed store. I picked 4 with shrek looking horns in front and more feathers in their crests because they were cute, and then took 2 others who hardly had any feathers in their crests. As the 2 grew older, their crests were slow to feather in and they looked like mohawks for a long time. Those two were cockerels, and the other 4 were pullets.

I got a white day-old polish pullet from McMurray, and her crest was quick to come in and fluff out all the way around, but I had no cockerel to compare her to.

So I'd say the ones with more mohawk-looking crests are males, more evenly rounded are females.

5. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    When they get older, the females will have a rounded poof on their head, while the males will have spiky, punk rocker hairdos that stream out in every direction.

silver-laced male, 22 weeks old
    [​IMG]

silver-laced female, 18 weeks old
    [​IMG]

Edited cuz I said females twice! Males are spiky and crazy....

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  6. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Quote:I have some chicks that are 7 weeks and I can start to guess now. My males have mohawks too and the hens are more rounded....I agree!!!

7. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Quote:Those are nice birds. I have 2 black white crested and 2 white crested blues, and one that is black and white. I can't wait until they get all filled out!!

8. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Thanks lovemychix. I love them! Becky, you'll love yours too. Polish are great.

9. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Humm, I am just going to have to post more pictures when they get older because in your pictures the female looks a lot more rounded to me and the male looks like its is going in all directions, lol.
    Becky

10. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I'm waiting for my Polish to grow their crest feathers in so I can tell their gender. They hatched on 11/24. The babies in the posted pictures look like they are in such an awkward stage. [​IMG] My chicks are so cute, I wish they could just keep those cotton balls on top of their heads.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by