Gender please for welsummer, barnevelder, plymouth and black cross

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by krystalls, Oct 3, 2016.

1. krystalls

krystalls New Egg

Oct 2, 2016
    QLD, Australia
    Hi, my chicks are about 10 weeks old and I'm hoping you can please confirm their genders? I bought them as sexed chicks at about 1 week old and the hatchery I got them from thinks they all look female, I'm sure the plymouth is male and I suspect the 3rd of my crossbred blacks is a male as well - from a young age it always acted like a roo, it could just be an assertive female, but it also stands differently to the other chicks.

Plymouth rock wouldn't let me hold him for a photo
    [​IMG]
    First crossbred black (my favourite and my little shadow)
    [​IMG]
    My welsummer - I asked the hatchery and they said it should get feather markings around 3-4 months of age
    [​IMG]
    Second crossbred black - this one was stunted for awhile and has now caught up sizewise to the first cross black
    [​IMG]
    Third crossbred black - very assertive, always had a bigger comb, likes to ninja kick (luckily it doesn't do that to me anymore), bigger and stands differently to the rest.
    [​IMG]
    My little barnevelder - I'm sure she is a pullet, she has had a respiratory infection twice and is a lot smaller and lighter than the rest
    [​IMG]

And a group shot from last week (excluding the first cross black as it is sitting beside me)
    [​IMG]
    And a group shot from yesterday that kind of shows the different stance of the crossbred blacks
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your help :)

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

All pullets except the Barred Rock, who is definitely a cockerel.

3. krystalls

krystalls New Egg

Oct 2, 2016
    QLD, Australia
    That's great, thanks for checking QueenMisha :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Agree they're all pullets except the Rock.

Your red bird is not a Welsummer, though. If it's a pure bred bird the closest thing I can thing of would be a red Sussex, but a quick search shows they're a red Colombian patters, where your girl is solid orange. She kind of looks like a buff Orp/Red cross, with that orange color and light legs.

6. krystalls

krystalls New Egg

Oct 2, 2016
    QLD, Australia
    Thank you, I suspected she isn't a welsummer when I was looking up photos of chicks to try and figure out her gender - they all had their patterns from a young age. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what she looks like when she is older. I just got some 4 week old silver laced wyandottes and a platinum sussex last night so I'll be wating a few years before I get my welsummer [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by