Gender Please thought ROO but is making a clucking sound no crowing

countrygirl911

Songster
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Mississippi
hi i have a 13 to 14 week old chicken that i thought was a roo but he/she is clucking like a hen no crowing when hubby picked it up the other day he made this sould like a horn on an old truck i thought it was becasue it was mad also it sometimes sticks its neck feathers straight out all fluffed up the are pointy but fo my assurence do you think it is a roo to.

60848_100_5201.jpg

60848_100_5209.jpg

60848_100_5229.jpg

60848_100_5239.jpg

Roo, i'm almost sure of it! lol

I have a rooster that "clucks", named him "Clucky" for that reason.
He sounds just like a hen! lol He does crow though.
I'm sure yours will learn to crow.

Oh, and that "old horn" sound, may have been the start of a crow!
My SpunkyRoo just started to crow, and sounds like that at times.

Last edited:
Rooters will flare (puff out all the neck feathers) when they want to scare something off or as a confrontational measure (ready to fight). Fluffing out and shaking it of means nothing really. If the majority of the hackle feathers (neck feathers) are down but the ones directly on top of the head are fluffed out...then he is hacked out (scared). Hope that helps some.

Roosters can be quirky and darn right feminine. One of my breeder silkie roos often climbs into a nest box and clucks softly. I reached under him when collecting eggs one day, since I actually thought he was a broody hen,
gig.gif
One of our showgirl cockerels has started doing the same thing..it may be a silkie thing though, since our D'uccle roos don't do anything like that.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom