Gender please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Eggs on Toast, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Eggs on Toast

Eggs on Toast Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2015
    My mottle pekins are about 5-6 weeks now and just checking to see whether they are girls or boys? I'm 90% sure that one of them is a girl but the other two look like boys which I really hope not otherwise they'll have to go... All of them peck at each over now and then but I don't know whether they're establishing a pecking order or not. How do I tell other than the combs?

[​IMG]
    Pretty sure left is a girl but the right?

[​IMG]
    Same chicken from above to the right but the bottom left is the third chook.

[​IMG]
    Left and right I'm guessing are both boys because they have red combs but the middle has a really pale comb and is smaller but I'm still unsure... Just need a second opinion.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I'd agree with you - two cockerels and (so far) a pullet.

3. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Overrun With Chickens

It looks like the smaller black one is a pullet and the other two are cockerls.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree with the above.

I love that first photo! You should enter it for the BYC calendar, I wouldn't mind looking at that for a month [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x2 Queen Misha

6. The Quail Guru

The Quail Guru Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2015
    Thank you guys. I was hoping they'd be girls as now I have to send them back and buy more hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by