Gender please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by EthenNoah, Jan 31, 2013.

1. EthenNoah

EthenNoah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2012
    Hello I just got 2 Muscovies just wanted to make sure they are both female.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Its hard to tell from the pics. How old are they? Are they the same size? The darker one looks female the black/white may be male, it looks larger and has more caruncles but since the pics are a little fuzzy its hard to say.

If they are both the same size and about 4-5 lbs (if adults) then they are females. If one is noticabley larger (and they are the same age) then I'd say a pair.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I agree, unfortunately, brighter more lit pictures will be needed. The ducks are a smaller bird, usually an armful whereas the drakes are big even at a few months old.. the legs/feet on males are quite big, they also make a hissing/huffing sound, while the ducks are a coo/chirp, quack, trilling they can hiss but they have the other sounds, whereas past juvenile staging the males don't get that option. [​IMG]

4. EthenNoah

Sep 11, 2012
    There hatched in June the black and white is a little bigger the lady I got them from said they are both female

5. EthenNoah

Sep 11, 2012
    Here's some more pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

6. EthenNoah

Sep 11, 2012
    [​IMG]

7. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Not sure about Muscovies but drakes in general have a curl on one feather on the tail the hens do not.

8. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I'd say female. They look similar in size to your chickens and by this age, a drake will be much larger. Muscovy don't have tail curls. They will breed with the drake that you have. The offspring will be sterile. (in case you weren't aware) I really like the look of the blk/wht.

9. EthenNoah

Sep 11, 2012
    Thank you the black and white is a little bigger so I was hopeing that it was a girl

10. chickenz101

chickenz101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    I'm thinking the more white on could be a male but the black one is definately female

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by