Gender question about 2 rescue chickens

bebesdeivanka

Chirping
Jan 13, 2021
Hello, a few days ago I was able to rescue four chickens. One is the mother hen (picture 1). Then there are three babies, about 3 to 4 months old. They are in awful state and are being treated by my vet.
Picture 2 is the white baby, and pictures 3 to 5 are of the brown baby.
I have no experience with skinny types, all my hens are XXL and it was always quite obvious if it was a roo or a pullet.

Thank you very much for your insight 🤗🤗

Attachments

• IMG-20220220-WA0032.jpg
    IMG-20220220-WA0032.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20220220-WA0034.jpg
    IMG-20220220-WA0034.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG-20220220-WA0035.jpg
    IMG-20220220-WA0035.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG-20220220-WA0031.jpg
    IMG-20220220-WA0031.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 3
Wow, they are in such bad condition, it's hard to tell. Normally, cockerels would be showing male-specific feathering by now, but those feathers are all missing. You might have to wait until the feathers grow back. If I had to guess though, I would say the white one could be a boy.

Yes, the white one is agressive towards the brown one, which makes me think they are both male. I had to separate the isolation pen. The weird thing is they have no wattles nor a proper comb. The white one still has a pink one and its really small.

We live in Buenos Aires, where fighting is prohibited but still very common. They are the skinny fight type, but as far as I know they were not used for that, they were rescued from an older man who didnt know how to take care of them (dirty water, only fed them a bit of corn, and the house was full of trash).

The mother and the white one seem to have been attacking hard the brown one, he was covered in blood and poorly healed wounds, so he is receiving antibiotics for inflammation and a special pomade to help heal his head. The rest got dewormed and are spending the next 14 days apart from my flock just in case.
Thank you, I will update when the feathers grow and let you know. For me, the babies are both male. 😪

When the male grow up they will kill any other roosters they see, and that includes each other.
Def not letting them near my flock untill 100% sure of their health and gender. I think i got myself in quite some mess. Because of the lack of the comb friends assured me they were bringing me four rescued hens. But I had a feeling that might not be the case as soon as i saw them.
Some say its in their nature, other say they have to be trained to be agressive. Will try to do my best to relocate them if thats the case. Will update🤕

Hello, we got some more info. Turns out the brown one is also a mother hen, that's why the other hen was attacking her. She is just so small we assumed it was also a baby!
So we have two mother hens, and two babies. One is a girl and the other one is, in comparison to the other three hens most definetly a roo.
Starting to look for a new family for him right away!
Thank to everyone!

Back
Top Bottom