1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender Question and Pics of my turkeys!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by LadyTurkey, Jul 10, 2011.

1. LadyTurkey

LadyTurkey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    GreatFalls
    Not the greatest pictures but I thought i would ask [​IMG] I think they are all toms, but then again what do i know
    these guys are my first turkeys. Just wanted to add their heads all change to red sometimes, and charles and Edward do strut and puff out a bit.
    Sir Charles (hopefully male LOL i have named them all male names )
    [​IMG]

Edward The Peep(Left) Sir Charles(Right)
    [​IMG]

And Alex ( he is the skittish one, doesnt like to be held or touched at all really)\\
    Far Left
    [​IMG]
    And of course another one of my pride and joy My cuddly little baby Sir Charles!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  2. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I think they are all toms also

3. goldenluver

goldenluver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Springfield, Oregon
    they look like hens to me. all my toms always are bald and starting to have those red nodules low on their necks starting to form by that size.

hope that helps

4. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:They are too young to get those, they haven't even lost the fur on their heads

5. LadyTurkey

Jun 5, 2011
    GreatFalls
    I find it so hard to figure out what they are one minute im like oh they are soooo toms. Then the next im like wait maybe hen? lol when will i find out for sure, we got them when they were little poults in the end of may.

6. LadyTurkey

Jun 5, 2011
    GreatFalls
    any thoughts?

7. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    I am thinking you need to wait. It is a waste of time guessing at this age.

8. Conn55

Conn55 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    They look like hens to me, the feet on hens are smaller featured and the toms as babies have heavier toes and legs. I have raiseed turkesy for several yrs and and it almostr always holds true ,the necks on turheys at this age will get red bumps and thier feet are smaller. I have sexed them w/ a 90% right on the looks. We hatch out over 90 turkeys a yr and the toms have a bigger bump on thier heads too, as it grows when the gobble and strut!

9. desy_peachick

desy_peachick New Egg

Jul 11, 2011
    [​IMG]
    I have 12 Turkeys that I bought 3 weeks ago as newborns and the only difference I see is some of them strut and some of them don't. They are huge! This picture doesn't really show how big they are but this is my favorite picture of me and Mr.Grinch:)

10. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by