Gender Question - Black Australorps

Pamdsa

Chirping
Jul 21, 2021
Hello. First time poster - long time reader haha. I was hoping to get some thoughts on the potential gender of my chicks. I have 8 Australorp chicks that hatched 4 weeks ago. I have 3 with red developing in their combs and even some developing wattles so I’m sure they’re roos. Then I have 2 which I’m confident are pullets because they have teeny, barely there combs. Then I have others like these pictured. I’m referring to the two sitting here. They have combs but no colour. Could these be pullets? Ta.

Attachments

• 26320BF9-BAD4-4E72-B858-11EDCB522B21.png
    26320BF9-BAD4-4E72-B858-11EDCB522B21.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 75
I noticed on FB they are always quick to say everything is a cockerel - especially when it comes to black australorps. I don't think a majority of people commenting know about australorps, they just want to be the first at commenting.
I would agree with the one looking like a cockerel at this point due to the comb growth and the redness at this age. But, as always a wait and see approach is best - especially with slow growing australorps. :)
I agree, one cockerel.
I've noticed on the BYC Fb page, that.... honestly? There's a lot of people who don't know what they're talking about. There are some that do, but many who don't. I honestly tend to point people to the forum.

Thanks so much! I asked on a FB page and people said I had 7 cockerels and only the one pullet - they were going by the existence of a comb. But that’s why I’m asking if the colour development is important too?
I noticed on FB they are always quick to say everything is a cockerel - especially when it comes to black australorps. I don't think a majority of people commenting know about australorps, they just want to be the first at commenting.
I would agree with the one looking like a cockerel at this point due to the comb growth and the redness at this age. But, as always a wait and see approach is best - especially with slow growing australorps. :)

In the picture I see 3 pullets and 1 cockerel.
Thanks so much! I asked on a FB page and people said I had 7 cockerels and only the one pullet - they were going by the existence of a comb. But that’s why I’m asking if the colour development is important too?

Back
Top Bottom